Help with staying in your home

Contact the Housing Optionsteam

If you are concerned about your tenancy, please contact the Housing Options team as soon as possible.

Eviction notice (Section 21)

If you receive an eviction notice from your landlord, please contact the Housing Options Team as soon as possible as we may be able to help you stay in your home. You can also find useful information on the Citizen Advice Bureau website.

Employment Support

The best way to avoid rent arrears building up may be to increase your income through employment. Find out what help is available in finding work


If you are unsure that you’re claiming all of the benefits that you’re entitled to, you can check with our Benefits team.

Discretionary Housing Payments

If you are getting Housing Benefit or the housing element of Universal Credit then you may also be able to apply for a discretionary housing payment.

Debt advice

If you are struggling with paying your rent, you may be able to get debt and budgeting advice from the following services:


Rental assistance schemes

We offer a couple of schemes that can provide assistance in obtaining a rental home. 

To qualify for either of these schemes households must meet the following criteria:

  • Income - Households must be on a low income. The threshold for being on a low income is that the household will usually receive (or does already receive) some housing benefit support or housing element of Universal Credit.
  • Housing Need - Households have to be homeless or threatened with homelessness, usually within the next 56 days.
  • Local Connection - Households need to have a local connection to the Mid Sussex area. This is generally considered to be:-
    • Residence in the District for 6 months or more.
    • Meaningful employment in the district, usually permanent
    • Close family member who currently resides in the District and has done so for 5 years or more.

Rent in advance loan

This is an interest free loan which you will have to repay. This payment is made direct to the Landlord.

Further information can be found in our Private Sector Tenants Guide leaflet or by contacting our Housing Options Team.

Deposit guarantee

Landlords and letting agents often require a deposit to cover damage and any rent arrears outstanding at the end of a tenancy. In most cases we will provide a legal document called a bond which guarantees a sum of money to landlords should they prove a claim when you leave.

Further information can be found in our Private Sector Tenants Guide leaflet or by contacting our Housing Options Team.

Finding a private rental

Renting privately is likely to be the quickest way to find a new home in Mid Sussex. Useful information about how to do this and the help we can provide you can be found in out in our Private Sector Tenants Guide leaflet.

Some useful websites where may be able to find somewhere to rent are below:

Housing standards

If you are having issues with the standard of your rental home then please see our Housing Standards page.

Contact us

The Housing Options Team

Last updated: 21 August 2023