Supported housing or 'housing related support' is available to people with a wide range of support needs.

Housing support may include advice, guidance and encouragement to:

  • Secure and set up a home
  • Develop skills such as cooking and cleaning
  • Get benefits and health and community care services
  • Find and keep social support

The support provided will depend on the service and your needs. More information about individual services is available below.

Support services

Help to stay in your home

Finding it difficult to manage in your home?

If you would like to remain your current home but due to physical or other disabilities you are finding it difficult to manage in your home and everyday activities, please contact:

OT Connect
: 01903 839100

They will arrange an assessment by an Occupational Therapist who will:

  • See if your home can be adapted to meet your needs
  • Tell you how to apply for grants if any structural work is needed

Need help with personal care?

If you think that you need help with personal care contact West Sussex County Council adult services for a free assessment of your needs on 0845 0751014. See the adults looking for support page of the West Sussex County Council website for further information.

Older people looking for support

Peabody - Here to Help

Peabody support older people to stay safe at home or to help them move to better accommodation. The service is for tenants and homeowners.

Tel: 01273 468100

Disabled Facilities Grant

This is money provided to you for a range of home adaptations that help disabled people to live more independently.

Please see our Disabled Facilities Grants page for full information.

Sheltered housing for older people

There is a wide choice of housing for older people to rent or buy in Mid Sussex. can provide further information on what is available as well as information to help you make the right decision for you.

There is also a wide choice of affordable rented housing for older people in Mid Sussex.

These can be:

  • Self-contained studio flats
  • Single and double flats
  • 2 bed flats for couples needing separate bedrooms because of health reasons

In some schemes, an onsite manager or a visiting service will be on hand to help with your needs. There is also a 24 hour alarm system for emergencies.

You must be eligible for the Common Housing Register to apply for affordable rented housing.

You can apply for sheltered housing online

If you are unable to complete the online form then please contact The Homemove Team on the details below. 

Please contact:

The Homemove Team
Clarion Housing Group
Upton House
7 Perrymount Road
Haywards Heath
RH16 3TN
Tel: 0300-100-0303

Please take a look at sheltered and extra care in Mid Sussex for a full list of older persons’ affordable housing - including details of facilities.

Further help

Extra care

There are several Extra Care Schemes in Mid Sussex.

Their aim is for you to live independently in a home for life instead of moving into residential care.

Your care needs will be assessed by Adult Services at West Sussex County Council

If you think you or someone you are caring for may need Extra Care, please see West Sussex County Council's Support in your Own Home webpages.

For more information about extra care please contact the Homemove team.

See also

Telecare lifeline services

What is a lifeline service?

Quick help at the press of a button.

A lifeline service connected to your phone line gives you a personal alarm that can be used whenever you need emergency help.

These services can also offer you:

  • Fall detectors
  • Out of bed alarms
  • Reminders to take medication

Where can I find my local lifeline service?

West Sussex Telecare
Tel: 0800-032-1129
Online referral form

Welbeing - Wealden and Eastbourne Lifeline
Tel: 01323-644422

Centra Pulse Telecare Alarms - previously known as Invicta
Tel: 0845-601-8523

Age UK Personal Alarms
Tel: 0800-011-3846

Saga SOS Personal Alarm Service 
Tel: 0800-068-5059

Young people

What support can I get?

West Sussex County Council Children and Young People's Services

If you have dealt with the West Sussex County Council Children and Young People's Services before - they may have a continuing duty to provide you with advice, assistance and possibly a place to live.


Tel: 01243-642127 / 0330-222-2004
Website: West Sussex County Council Connect to Support website

Mid Sussex District Council Housing Needs Team

If you are homeless or are worried that you may soon become homeless, please see our pages on homelessness and housing advice.

Housing register

You can also apply to join the Council's Housing Register run by the Sussex Homemove team at Clarion Housing.

Please visit the apply for social housing page for more details.

Rented housing options

The following rented housing options are available to young people in Mid Sussex:

Useful websites

People with mental health issues

The following housing options and support are available to people with mental health needs in Mid Sussex:

What support can I get?

  • Mental health support for adults and young people
  • Some accommodation based housing support

Other useful websites

People with physical disabilities

Can I get my house adapted to suit my needs?

This option may be available to you and we may be able to assist you with this. Please see the 'Help to stay in your home' section for further information.

My current home is not suitable for my needs

You may be eligible to join the Council's Housing Register run by the Sussex Homemove team at Clarion Housing. Find out how to do this on our the apply for social housing page.

Other useful websites

People with alcohol and/or substance misuse problems

The following housing options and support are available to people with alcohol and/or substance misuse problems in Mid Sussex:

Peabody Resettlement Service

You may be eligible if you are engaged with treatment services and are committed to changing your life.

Tel: 01444-810689

For more information see the Peabody website.

Useful websites

How do I apply for supported housing?

If you are in need of housing as well as support, first you must apply to join the Council's Housing Register run by the Sussex Homemove team at Clarion Housing. To find out how to do this, please visit the apply for social housing page.

Contact us

The Housing Needs Team

Last updated: 24 July 2019