Appealing your bill

If you believe your Council Tax bill is wrong, you can appeal it. You cannot make an appeal if you think your Council Tax bill is too expensive.  

You should continue to pay your Council Tax as billed even if you have an outstanding appeal.

If you wish to make an appeal regarding your bill because you think it’s wrong, you must:

  • Write to the Council, explaining why you believe the bill is wrong
  • Continue to pay instalments as per the most recent bill whilst your appeal is reviewed

There is no time limit in which to make an appeal, unless you are making an appeal against the band of your property

The Council has 2 months in which to respond to your appeal.

If the Council does not respond within 2 months, or if you disagree with their decision, you can appeal to the Valuation Tribunal

You must appeal within:

  • 2 months of the council telling you its decision; or
  • 4 months of you first writing to the council (if you have not had a response)

Appealing your Council Tax Band or entry into the Council Tax list

You can make an appeal if:

  • You think your property is in the wrong council tax band.
  • You think your property should be removed from the council tax list.
  • You think the information on your property in the council tax list should be changed.

You need to appeal directly to the Valuation Tribunal

Please note, if you are making appeal against your Council Tax band, any appeal must be made within 6 months of becoming liable for Council Tax.

Appealing a Completion Notice

If you have been served with a completion notice and you do not agree with the date, you can appeal to the Valuation Tribunal.

You must:

  • Make the appeal within 4 weeks from the issue date of the completion notice
  • Complete the online appeal form

If you consider the Council has made an error and would like to discuss the completion date, please contact us on:

Phone: 01444 477137 / 477140


Appealing a Penalty

If you have been issued with a Penalty, you have the right to appeal it.

Your request for an appeal must:

  • Be in writing
  • Made to the Valuation Tribunal, providing the dates on which notice of the penalty was served
  • State your name, address, and the capacity in which you are making the appeal
  • State the property concerned; and
  • Contain a detailed reason for the appeal

You are not required to pay the penalty whilst you have an outstanding appeal against it.

Last updated: 22 August 2023