Everyone voting at Mid Sussex polling stations at the local elections on Thursday 2nd May 2019 will need a form of ID.
You will have to show your unique security-coded poll card or photo ID when you come to vote in our polling stations on Thursday 2 May 2019. This pilot is looking at the best way to tackle possible election fraud, following Electoral Commission reports that there has been a steady rise in voter impersonation since 2014.
You should receive your poll card on or soon after 21st March 2019. You will not receive it before then.
Anyone who does not have their poll card with them on polling day will be asked to present another form of photo ID including a UK or EU photo-card driving licence (full or provisional) or a valid British, European or Commonwealth passport.
Nothing else will change – just remember to bring your poll card with you when you come to vote. There will be no change to the way you vote if you have a postal vote.
Local Council Elections 2019
District, Town and Parish Council elections are due to be held on Thursday 2nd May 2019.
Key dates in the election timetable are as follows:
- Notice of Election will be Published – Monday 18th March 2019
- Candidate Nominations Open - Tuesday 19th March 2019 – Please call 01444-477222 to secure an appointment to submit completed nomination forms
- Candidate Nominations Close – 4.00pm on Wednesday 3rd April 2019 – Do not submit nominations close to the deadline as errors can make them invalid with no time for issues to be resolved
- Electoral Registration Deadline – Friday 12th April 2019
- Postal Vote Application Deadline – 5.00pm on Monday 15th April 2019
- Proxy Vote Application Deadline – 5.00pm on Wednesday 24th April 2019
Nomination Packs are available to download and print as follows:
- Nomination Pack: District Council Election for Political Parties
- Nomination Pack: District Council Election for Independent Candidates
- Nomination Pack: Town & Parish Council Election for Political Parties
- Nomination Pack: Town & Parish Election for Independent Candidates
Local Election Agent Briefing
A further briefing for Election Agents and those considering standing as independent candidates is planned for Wednesday 6th February 2019 at Mid Sussex District Council, in the Council Chamber at 2pm. Please call Electoral Services on 01444-477-222 to register your attendance.
The District Council (MSDC) must administer elections for all tiers of government and any national or local referenda that may arise. By-elections can occur at any time, for example if an elected representative dies, resigns or is no longer qualified to hold their office.
The following electoral events are scheduled to occur in the coming years:
- District, Town and Parish Councils – May 2019
- Police & Crime Commissioner – May 2020
- West Sussex County Council – May 2021
- United Kingdom Parliamentary General Election – May 2022
Details of any unscheduled vacancies will appear as they arise at Councillor Vacancies.