Skip to content

Benefits & Council Tax Support


Non-dependants usually live, on a non-commercial basis, in the claimant’s household. Some non-dependants pay toward household bills. This money is not counted as the claimant’s income.


Deductions are made from Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support. These are not related to the amount the non-dependant pays. These amounts are set by the government and are applied even if the non-dependant does not pay towards the household bills. The fixed amounts are based on the non-dependant's circumstances. 

In the case of a non-dependant couple; only one deduction will be made. The rate of this deduction will be the highest that would be applied to them individually. If either of the couple is working, the gross income is treated as belonging to them as a couple.

In cases where a claimant or partner is aged 65 or more and a non-dependant:

  • moves into the household, or
  • has a change in their circumstances which would increase the level of non-dependant deduction

The resulting change to Housing and/or Council Tax Support entitlement will be delayed for 26 weeks. Unless you are in receipt of disability premium, which will be lost immediately.

It is important to let the Housing Benefit team know of any changes which may affect your entitlement. You should let the council know of an changes as they occur.

Non-dependant Circumstances

(Where claimant has reached state pension age)

Non-dependant Circumstances

(Where claimant has not reached state pension age)


Boarders and Sub-tenants

If someone other than a non-dependant pays rent for part of your property, they are classed as a sub-tenant. If that rent includes money for meals, they are classed as a boarder.

Boarders and sub-tenants are treated differently for Housing and Council Tax Support purposes. Instead of taking a set deduction from your benefit for them, part of the rent you receive is used to assess how much you are entitled to.

Contact Benefits