Make a claim online

Make a claim online

Claims for UC need to be made online, claims for Mid Sussex residents are covered by 5 Job Centre Plus offices, the office where any appointments you have following your initial claim is dependent on your postcode.

What is Universal Credit?

Universal Credit (UC) is a benefit for people of working age on a low income and is administered by the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP). It is a single monthly payment which will eventually replace:

  • Income Support.
  • Income Related Job Seeker's Allowance.
  • Income Related Employment Support Allowance.
  • Housing Benefit.
  • Working Tax Credit
  • Child Tax Credit.

You can use the benefit calculator to find out if you are eligible for UC and how much you could get.

Help with Council tax is not included in your Universal Credit payment. If you would like to apply for Council Tax Support then please see our Council Tax Support page.

Managed Migration and completing the move to Universal Credit

Managed migration is the organised process of moving legacy benefit claimants across to Universal Credit and ending their legacy benefit awards.

Universal Credit migration notices will be sent out to people in receipt of certain legacy benefits who live within Mid Sussex District from February 2024 onwards.

Once you receive your Universal Credit migration notice, you must claim Universal Credit within 3 months of the date showing on your notice, in order to continue receiving financial support.

If you do not make a claim for Universal Credit within 3 months, your legacy benefit will still end. For further information regarding this please visit the following link: Universal Credit if you receive a Migration Notice letter - GOV.UK (

Universal Credit Migration Notice helpline 0800 169 0328. You can also get free support from the Citizens Advice Help to Claim service

Discretionary Housing Payments

Discretionary Housing Payments is a way of helping you if the Housing Benefit or Universal Credit (Housing Costs element) you get is not enough to pay your rent.

Discretionary Housing Payments are not the same as Housing Benefit or Universal Credit. They are special payments, which come from a separate cash limited fund.

Please see our Discretionary Housing Payments page for more information. 

New benefit claimants

You must claim Universal credit if you are  

  • of working age (including mixed age couples)

If you live in one of the following types of accommodation, you will still need to claim Universal Credit, but your housing costs should be covered by Housing Benefit

  • accommodation where your landlord provides care and support
  • temporary accommodation provided by the local authority

How to claim

Make a claim online

Proving your Identity

GOV.UK Verify is the new way to prove who you are online and speed up the process for claiming Universal Credit. It may remove the need for you to visit a Job Centre in person to prove who you are.

In most cases it takes less than 15 minutes to verify your identity the first time you use GOV.UK Verify. Any time after that, it should only take a couple of minutes to sign in. The service checks your personal details against records held by mobile phone providers, HM Passport Office, DVLA or credit agencies. There’s no effect on your credit score.

You can find more information on GOV.UK Verify. Customers should be offered this service when applying for Universal Credit.

Universal Credit: Help to Claim advice service

If you’re worried about Universal Credit, you can talk to Citizens Advice in West Sussex they will start by assessing your situation to make sure you’re getting the right level of support. They can help you with:

  • Setting up your Universal Credit account
  • Completing your claim to-dos
  • Verifying your identity
  • Providing additional evidence
  • Making sure you’re providing the right evidence to the Jobcentre
  • Understanding what Universal Credit will mean for you

Get the full list of the help they can provide with Universal Credit.

* times may vary, please click the link above for up to date information regarding opening times.

This service is available at:

Haywards Heath Jobcentre Plus,
Kingsley House,
31 Boltro Road,
Haywards Heath,
RH16 1BP
(Tuesday and Thursday, 10am-2pm)

And also at advice centres in Haywards Heath, East Grinstead and Burgess Hill.

For telephone support, call the Citizens Advice Universal Credit Helpline: 0800 144 8 444
(Freephone, Monday to Friday 8am-6pm)

Internet access

All West Sussex Libraries have free public PCs which can be used for up to 2 hours a day, including those within the Mid Sussex district. To use the PCs residents need to join the library, ideally with proof of name and address. Membership is free.

All libraries also have free Wi-Fi – and do not need to be a member to use this. Therefore enabling you to make or update your claim for Universal Credit even if you do not have WiFi or a pc at home.

Last updated: 21 March 2024