Can I claim Housing and/or Council Tax Support?

You can claim if you:

  • receive income-based Jobseekers' Allowance
  • receive Income Support
  • receive income-related Employment and Support Allowance
  • receive Pension Credit
  • have a low income

How much can I claim?

If you receive:

  • income-based Jobseekers' Allowance
  • Income Support
  • Income-related employment & support allowance
  • guarantee element of pension credit

You will get the maximum amount of housing benefit/council tax support. However, other factors will be taken into account, such as; the income of any other adults living with you and if you under occupy your home.

If you do not fall into the above category, the amount of Benefit you get depends on:

  • the amount of eligible rent you pay
  • the amount of Council Tax you are liable for.
  • how many people live with you
  • your personal circumstances
  • how much money you have coming in
  • how much you have in savings

How will I receive payments?

Housing Benefit

Your Housing Benefit will be paid into your bank or building society account. 

Council Tax Support

Council Tax Support will be deducted from your Council Tax bill.

When can I not get Housing and/or Council Tax Support?

You will not be eligible for Housing and/or Council Tax Support if:

  • you, or you and your partner jointly have more than £16,000 in savings (with the exception of some people who receive the guarantee element of Pension Credit)
  • you pay rent to a close relative who lives with you or to a former partner for the home you previously shared
  • you are a student in full-time higher education. There are a few exceptions so please contact us for further advice
  • you are an asylum seeker
  • you have been sponsored to be in the UK

When would my Housing and/or Council Tax Support be restricted?

Your Housing and/or Council Tax Support will be restricted if:

  • others aged over 18 years live with you who could be expected to pay towards their housing (even if they don't)
  • you are single and under 35 years of age. There are some exceptions to this so please contact our offices for further advice
  • the property you rent is too big for your household needs and the Local Housing Allowance is lower than your rental liability
  • your rent includes charges for services, such as; heating, lighting, hot water, cooking or payments for meals

Council Tax Support Scheme Policy

Further information on the Council Tax Support Scheme, including policy documents, can be found on the Council Tax Support Scheme

Council Tax Support exceptional hardship award

If you are having difficulty paying your Council Tax you may be able to set up a payment plan with us to clear the amount you owe.

If you are unable to do this please contact us for advice as soon as possible.

In the most extreme circumstances, we may be able to award extra help.

To be considered for a short-term exceptional hardship award, you must:

  • be experiencing extreme and intolerable financial hardship
  • be getting or have applied for Council Tax Support
  • show that you have tried all other reasonable ways to try to pay your Council Tax
  • have contacted us to talk through your options.

Council Tax Support exceptional hardship scheme policy

Last updated: 12 March 2024