Strategic Housing and Economic Land Availability Assessment
The National Planning Policy Framework (NPPF) requires local planning authorities to produce a Strategic Housing and Economic Land Availability Assessment (SHELAA).
In Autumn 2017, the Council sought nominations from landowners for sites which could be considered for housing and employment. This is the first stage of work in the preparation of the Council’s Site Allocations Plan. The SHELAA (2018) sets out the long list of sites which were nominated to the Council. These sites do not have any planning status. Including them in the SHELAA does not mean that they will be developed in the future.
The next stage of work will be to carry out a detailed assessment of the suitability of these sites, which will inform a Site Selections Report, at which stage, some sites will be excluded, and others will be considered further for inclusion in the Site Allocations Documents.
- Strategic Housing and Economic Land Availability Assessment (SHELAA) main report - April 2018
- Appendix 1 - Housing Sites
- Appendix 2 - Employment Sites
- Appendix 3 - Excluded Sites
- Appendix 4 - Commitments (April 2018)
- Addendum to SHELAA 22 May 2018
- Addendum to SHELAA 5 June 2018
- Addendum to SHELAA 21 June 2018
- Addendum to SHELAA 11 July 2018
- Addendum to SHELAA 19 July 2018
- Addendum to SHELAA 1 August 2018
- Addendum to SHELAA 8 October 2018
- Strategic Housing and Economic Land Availability Assessment Methodology (April 2018)
- Windfall Study 2016
Call for Sites
The council operates a 'rolling' call for sites, so landowners/developers and agents can submit sites to us at any time.
Work has commenced on the preparation of the Site Allocations Document. To enable technical work to be undertaken on sites, no further sites will be included in the SHELAA after 1st August 2018. The next opportunity to promote a new site will be during the Issues and Options consultation, scheduled to take place in Summer 2019.
Ansty and Staplefield
Hurstpierpoint and Sayers Common
Lindfield and Lindfield Rural
SHELAA in the South Downs National Park
The South Downs National Park Authority directly receives all new Strategic Housing Land Availability Assessment (SHLAA) site submissions within its area.