Over the weekend of the 17th and 18th August there was an issue with our email services, meaning that we did not receive any emails. If you contacted us via email over this weekend, you will need to re-send your email. We apologise for any inconvenience this causes you.
Mid Sussex District Plan
Mid Sussex District Plan 2014-2031
Mid Sussex District Council adopted the Mid Sussex District Plan 2014-2031 as a Development Plan Document at its meeting on 28th March 2018. It replaces the Mid Sussex Local Plan 2004 (other than saved Local Plan policies).
- Mid Sussex District Plan 2014 – 2031
- Mid Sussex District Plan Sustainability Appraisal – Submission (August 2016)
- Mid Sussex District Plan Sustainability Appraisal – Main Modifications (November 2017)
- Mid Sussex District Plan – Policies Maps
- Policy Number Revisions
- List of Policies superseded by District Plan policies
- District Plan Examination Library (the Evidence Base)
- District Plan Examination Documents (documents submitted during the Examination)
- Adoption Statement
- Sustainability Appraisal – Post-Adoption Statement
What is the District Plan?
The District Plan is the main planning document used by the Council when considering planning applications.
It covers the period to 2031 and includes the strategy, proposed level of development and a number of planning policies.
September - November 2017
Main Modifications consultation
12th March 2018
28th March 2018
District Plan Examination Library
The evidence base for the District Plan can be found on the District Plan Examination Library page.
Documents submitted to the Examination hearing sessions (including correspondence between the Council and Inspector) can be found on the District Plan Examination page.
12th March 2018: District Plan Inspector's Report
The District Council has received the Inspector's Report on the District Plan.
The Inspector concludes that with the recommended Main Modifications set out in the Appendix, the Mid Sussex District Plan satisfies the requirements of Section 20(5) of the 2004 Act and meets the criteria for soundness in the National Planning Policy Framework.
Council will be asked to consider adopting the District Plan at its meeting on 28th March 2018.
February 2018: Land north of Clayton Mills, Hassocks
Having considered representations received on the Main Modifications, the Inspector, Jonathan Bore, held a short hearing on the issues relating to the new site allocation on land north of Clayton Mills, Hassocks on Monday 5th February.
The hearing sessions have now closed, and the Council is awaiting the Inspector's Report.
October 2017: Main Modifications Consultation
The Main Modifications consultation was held between 2nd October and 13th November 2017.
Every representation has been sent, in full, to the Inspector for his consideration.
Summaries of the representations made during the consultation period can be viewed in the Main Modifications - Consultation Responses Summary Report.
Full copies of the representations can be viewed at the District Council offices.
The Mid Sussex District Plan was submitted to the Planning Inspectorate in August 2016. A Planning Inspector has held a number of Examination Hearings, the most recent being in July 2017.
At these hearings the Inspector recommended that the Plan could proceed to adoption subject to a number of modifications.
Details regarding the Hearings and documents submitted during the hearings can be found on the District Plan Examination page.
The Council carried out a public consultation on the Main Modifications that are proposed.
The Main Modifications are changes, additions or deletions required to make the plan ‘sound’ and have been prepared in liaison with the Planning Inspector during the course of the Examination.
These are set out in the Schedule of Main Modifications.
The consultation documents can be downloaded below:
- Schedule of Main Modifications to the District Plan
- Main Modifications - Sustainability Appraisal Report (September 2017)
- Main Modifications - Habitats Regulations Assessment (September 2017) and HRA Non-Technical Summary
Other relevant documents for this consultation are as follows.
The full evidence base for the District Plan can be found on the Examination Library page.
- Impact of Mid Sussex District Council Plan Traffic at Ashdown Forest - Air Quality Assessment
- Submission Sustainability Appraisal - Main Report (August 2016)
- EP23a - Strategic Site Selection Paper update (September 2017)
- MSDC22 - Consideration of Options to Strengthen the Five Year Supply
- MSDC23 - Northern West Sussex HMA - Agreed Changes to DP5: Housing
- MSDC24 - Implications of Main Modifications on Ashdown Forest on the Strategic and Local Road Network
- Statement of Representations Procedure
- Community Involvement Plan
- Equalities Impact Assessment
August 2016: Submission District Plan
The Mid Sussex District Plan 2014-2031 was submitted to Government on the 17th August 2016.
- Mid Sussex District Plan - Pre-Submission (June 2015)
- Mid Sussex District Plan - Focused Amendments to the Pre-Submission District Plan (November 2015)
- Mid Sussex District Plan - Schedule of further modifications (August 2016)
- Mid Sussex District Plan - Version incorporating the Pre-Submission Plan with the Focused Amendments and Further Modifications (August 2016)
- Submission Sustainability Appraisal - Main Report (August 2016)
- Submission Sustainability Appraisal - Non-Technical Summary (August 2016)
- Submission Habitats Regulations Assessment
- District Plan Policies Maps
- Statement of Consultation - Regulation 20 (July 2016)
All of the documents submitted to Government can be found on the Examination Library page which will be updated as the examination progresses.
The District Plan Examination page contains information and documents relating to the Mid Sussex District Plan examination including Inspector's correspondence, schedule of hearings, Inspector's questions and matters for hearings, participants statements and agendas.
November 2015: Focused Amendments to the Pre-Submission Draft District Plan
Following consultation on the Pre-Submission Draft District Plan between June and July 2015 and after careful consideration, the Council is proposing to make amendments to the Plan to ensure it meets the needs of Mid Sussex residents and businesses, while protecting the unique character and diversity of the towns and villages.
The main changes to the Pre-Submission Draft District Plan that are proposed in the Focused Amendments are:
- An increase in the housing provision figure from 650 to 800 new homes per year, which will enable the Council to make a contribution to meeting the housing needs of neighbouring authorities;
- The identification of a new strategic site for 600 homes at Pease Pottage;
- The inclusion of a housing density policy to maximise the yield from allocated sites and those in the built-up areas, thereby reducing the unnecessary loss of open countryside;
- The reversion to the previous affordable housing and developer contribution policies following the High Court’s quashing of the Government’s guidance on these matters; and
- Updates to reflect new Government policy on self-build homes, energy efficiency, housing and accessibility standards, and Gypsies & Travellers.
The Focused Amendments to the Pre-Submission Draft District Plan were considered by the Scrutiny Committee for Planning And Economic Development on the 10th November 2015.
Council approved the Focused Amendments to the Pre-Submission Draft District Plan for consultation on the 11th November 2015.
The consultation started on the 19th November 2015 and closed on the 15th January 2016.
The Focused Amendments to the Pre-Submission Draft District Plan documents can be downloaded below:
- District Plan - Schedule of Modifications (November 2015)
- Focused Amendments Sustainability Appraisal - Main Report (November 2015)
- Focused Amendments Sustainability Appraisal Non-Technical Summary (November 2015)
- Focused Amendments Habitats Regulations Assessment (November 2015)
- Community Involvement Plan (November 2015)
- Statement of Representations Procedure (November 2015)
A Summary Report containing summaries of the responses made during the Focused Amendments consultation has been published.
June 2015: Pre-Submission Draft District Plan
Following consultation on the draft District Plan between November 2014 and January 2015, the District Plan was updated to take comments into account.
Work has also been completed on housing need and supply, and this is included within the Pre-Submission Draft District Plan.
The Pre-Submission Draft District Plan was considered by the Scrutiny Committee for Planning and Economic Development on the 3rd March 2015, and Council on the 18th March 2015.
Council approved the District Plan for pre-submission public consultation.
The consultation was held between the 12th June and the 24th July 2015.
The Pre-Submission Draft District Plan documents can be downloaded below:
- Pre-Submission District Plan (June 2015)
- Pre-Submission Sustainability Appraisal - Main Report (June 2015)
- Pre-Submission Sustainability Appraisal - Non Technical Summary (June 2015)
- Pre-Submission Habitats Regulations Assessment (June 2015)
- Community Involvement Plan (March 2015)
- Statement of Consultation - Regulation 18 (June 2015)
- Notice of Publication and Statement of Representations Procedure (June 2015)
- Equality Impact Assessment (February 2015)
A Summary Report containing summaries of the responses made during the Pre-Submission consultation has been published.
A number of studies were used during the preparation of the District Plan to provide evidence and justification for the strategy and policies within the plan.
The evidence base can be viewed on the Evidence & Supporting Documents page.
All documents relating to the District Plan examination can be found within the Examination Library page.
Planning Policy e-mail alerts