Over the weekend of the 17th and 18th August there was an issue with our email services, meaning that we did not receive any emails. If you contacted us via email over this weekend, you will need to re-send your email. We apologise for any inconvenience this causes you.
Do I Need Planning Permission
Some changes to your home might not need planning permission and could be carried out as 'permitted development' if they satisfy certain limits and conditions.
- Hard surfaces/decking
- Boundary treatment
- Other specific works
For more information on what you can and can't do - please take a look at:
If you would like an officer's informal opinion on whether planning permission is needed - please complete our online form.
Please note: You may still need Building regulation approval. Please visit out Building Control FAQs page for more information.
In some cases your property may be tied to a restriction and you will need to Apply for planning permission. See below for more details.
Limits to permitted development rights
Development rights are more restrictive in the case of:
- Listed Buildings
- Conservation areas
- Areas of Outstanding Natural Beauty
In some areas permitted development rights have been removed by an 'Article 4' direction. This means that you have to submit a planning application for work which normally does not need one.
Additionally you should check that permitted development rights have not been removed by a planning condition for the development of the original dwelling. Please contact us using the information below for further information.
For example: Permitted development rights have been removed for many types of domestic development within both the Cuckfield and Lindfield conservation areas.
Check below to see if your property is within such an area:
- PR-00074-ART4 – Butlers Green House, Haywards Heath
- PR-00075-ART4 – Ham Farm, Scaynes Hill
- PR-00076-ART4 – Newlands, West Hoathly
- PR-00077-ART4 – Hammingden Lane, West Hoathly
- PR-00078-ART4 – St Marks Church, Staplefield
- PR-00079-ART4 – Rushfield Nurseries, Poynings
- PR-00080-ART4 – Clayton Court Farm, Coldharbour Farm, Clayton
- PR-00081-ART4 – Hanbury Park, Haywards Heath
- PR-00082-ART4 – Southdown Farm, Keymer
- PR-00083-ART4 – Land Rear of Cobbetts Mead, Haywards Heath
- PR-00084-ART4 – Land at Rose Cottage Lane, Staplefield
- PR-00085-ART4 – Land at Sunrise Farm, Cuckfield
- PR-00086-ART4 – Land at Vowels Lane, West Hoathly
- PR-00087-ART4 – Land off Bylanes Close, Cuckfield
- PR-00088-ART4 – Bethany,Crawley Down
- PR-00089-ART4 – Walstead Place Farm, Haywards Heath, Lindfield
- PR-00090-ART4 – Land at Fairlight Farm, East Grinstead – Order No 1
- PR-00091-ART4 – Cuckfield Conservation Area
- PR-00092-ART4 – Lindfield Conservation Area – Original Designation
- PR-01452-ART4 – Transferred Land from Wealden
- PR-01453-ART4 – Transferred Land from Tandridge
- PR-01454-ART4 – Danny, Parkland, Hurstpierpoint
- PR-01455-ART4 – Transferred Land from Tandridge
- PR-01461-ART4 – Lindfield Conservation Area – Extension
- PR-01461-ART4 – Land at Fairlight Farm, East Grinstead – Order No 2
- PR-01648-ART4 – Royal Oak Public House, Crawley Down