Following recent changes introduced by Government, there is now significantly more flexibility as to what can be built without the need for a planning application to be submitted to the Council for consideration.

It is possible to make various types of changes to your house and other commercial buildings, without having to apply for planning permission. These changes are called, permitted development rights. Guidance on rules that relate to permitted development are found on the Planning Portal.

For more information on what you can and can't do - please take a look at:

A formal decision on whether planning permission is required can be obtained through the submission of an application for a Lawful Development Certificate.

If you would like an officer’s informal opinion on whether planning permission is needed, please complete our online form. This will also provide for a search of your property history to identify whether there are any restrictive planning conditions in place. A charge of £40 is made for a response by letter or £80 for a virtual meeting and letter. All fees must be received before advice will be given.

Do i need planning permission? online enquiry form

Please note: You may still need Building regulation approval. Please visit out Building Control FAQs page for more information.

In some cases your property may be tied to a restriction and you will need to Apply for planning permission. See below for more details.

Limits to permitted development rights

Development rights are more restrictive in the case of:

  • Listed Buildings
  • Conservation areas
  • Areas of Outstanding Natural Beauty

Article 4

In some areas permitted development rights have been removed by an 'Article 4' direction. This means that you have to submit a planning application for work which normally does not need one.

Additionally you should check that permitted development rights have not been removed by a planning condition for the development of the original dwelling. Please contact us using the information below for further information.

For example: Permitted development rights have been removed for many types of domestic development within both the Cuckfield and Lindfield conservation areas.

Check below to see if your property is within such an area:

Contact us

Tel: 01444-477566

Last updated: 17 April 2024