What are building regulations?

Building regulations approval is different from planning permission - and you might need both.

Within England and Wales most construction work is covered by the Building Regulations.

These are the minimum technical standards which have been set by the government.

They ensure that building work is properly designed and constructed to ensure the minimum acceptable standards for:

  • Public safety and health
  • the welfare and convenience of people using building
  • Protecting the environment
  • Reducing climate change

More information:

Local Authority Building Control (LABC)  - representing all local authority building control teams in England and Wales.

Technical guidance

At our offices

Technical guidance is available by appointment at the council offices.

You can also drop in on:

  • 3pm-4.30pm Mon to Thurs
  • 3pm-4pm Fri

Or contact us by:

Tel: 01444-477118

  • 2.30m-5pm Mon-Thurs
  • 2.30pm-4.15pm Fridays    

Email: buildingcontrol@midsussex.gov.uk


Do I need to tell Building Control about proposed works?

Building Regulations applications are needed for most construction projects.

For more information please take a look at our Making a building application page.

You must  inform the building control team at the following stages:

  • Commencement
  • Foundation excavations
  • Oversite preparation
  • Damp proof course
  • Oversite concrete
  • Drains prior to back-filling
  • Roof structure/beams
  • Drains test
  • Completion/occupation
  • Others as agreed

More information:

Local Authority Building Control (LABC)  - representing all local authority building control teams in England and Wales.

How soon can works start after sending you a building application?

Legally you can start two working days after submitting your application. But you must have already told us of your intention to start works. You must also have all other consents and planning permissions.

For more information please take a look at our Make a Building Control application page.

Please note: It is your responsibility as the applicant to make sure that the works comply with the building regulations and any other relevant legislation.

If you start work early - you are doing so at your own risk.

Do I need to tell my neighbours about any proposed works?

Please see the requirements under the Party Wall Act, but we still advise that you do so.

How do I choose a builder?

Check your builder with either:

Builder checklist:

  • Do an online search and find reviews
  • Get three written quotes from different builders
  • Do not always choose the cheapest builder
  • Ask for references - the more the better
  • Visit their recently completed work and talk to the owners


Make sure that all quotes include:

  • Materials
  • Site clearance
  • Time scales, etc.
  • And that - where possible - these quotes are fixed and not estimates

Ask these questions before making your final decision:

  • What types of project have they worked on before?
  • How long have they been in business?
  • Do they have premises you can visit?
  • Do they have membership of a professional body/trade association? If so - ring the organisation to check that the builder really is a member
  • Is their work guaranteed?
  • Is this guarantee insurance-backed so that you are still covered if the builder goes out of business?
  • What is the expected timeframe for the work and what are you entitled to if this deadline is not met?
  • What is included in the price?
  • Will they agree to independent conciliation in case of any dispute?

Once you have chosen your builder you may wish to formally agree terms and conditions using a Domestic contract for minor building work.

How long do you keep Building Control records for?

Our records are retained for 15 years.

Contact us

Last updated: 14 March 2024