Request historical Planning and Building Control information

Frequently Asked Questions

Please read our FAQs before requesting any information.

Our email is

Our turnaround for email requests is 10 working days, but we often respond sooner.

If you wish to order a Local Authority Search, or carry out a Personal Search, see our Local Land Charges page.

Can I view Planning Applications online?

Planning Applications from March 2007 onwards are available in full on our Online Planning Register.

For Planning Applications from 1974-2006, a summary, description and location outline is also available on the Online Planning Register.

Other documents within these older Planning Applications are held on site, and can be provided on request - email with as much detail as possible.

Can I view historical Planning files (pre-2007) in full at the council offices?

For applications from 1990-2006, we have a dedicated Planning History PC in reception. You can drop in during office hours, there is no need to make an appointment.

Pre-1990 applications are held on microfiche. To view these, you need to telephone 01444 477444 to make an appointment. We have a dedicated room (Reception Room 3) off reception with microfiche viewer for this purpose.

You will need to provide details of the application(s) you wish to view by email, ahead of your appointment, so we can get any microfiche out ready for you.

Please note that this is a viewing service only. There are full instructions in the room on how to use the microfiche viewer. We are not able to assist you in person in viewing these Planning files.

If you find you’d like to look at further files not in your original request, you will need to book another appointment, again so we can prepare the microfiche for you.

Can I have copies of plans from a Planning application that’s been determined?

Once a Planning application has been determined, the individual or company who created the plans holds the copyright. We can provide a copy, but please note you may only use copyrighted material for consultation purposes. Further copies must not be made without prior permission of the copyright owner.

Email with as much detail as possible about the application and we can provide the plans.

Can I request copies of a Section 106 Agreement?

Yes, please email with as much detail as possible, including the PLAG reference, eg PR/01234/PLAG.

For more recent Planning Applications, the Section 106 Agreements are also available within the application on the Online Planning Register, so check here first.


Can you tell me if all obligations have been met for a Section 106 Agreement?

Please contact with as much detail of the Agreement as possible and they can help.

Can I request a copy of a Tree Preservation Order (TPO)?

Yes, email with as much detail as possible, preferably including the TPO reference.

Can I request copies of Building Control Completion Certificates?

As an authority we retain 15 years of Building Control records, so we are unable to provide copies of Completion Certificates older than this.

Email with your request for applications within 15 years.

If building works have not yet had a Completion Inspection, you will need to book one, and have the worked signed off to the satisfaction of Building Control, before a Completion Certificate can be issued. Call our customer services team on 01444-477570 and select option 1.

Can I request copies of Building Control Completion Certificates for works carried out by Approved Inspectors, such as NHBC?

For Approved Inspector applications, we record the details of the application to carry out the works, but Completion Certificates should be requested from the Approved Inspector who carried out the inspections.

Can I have a copy of Competent Persons Certificates?

Examples of Competent Persons works include fitting a gas boiler or cooker, Cavity Wall Insulation and electrical works such as rewiring a house.

We hold a register for work carried out under the Competent Persons Scheme - the company notify us when work is completed.

However, we do not hold any documentation - including the completion certificates - so these should be requested from the current home owner, or the company who carried out the work.

Find more information on the Competent Persons Scheme.

Can I see the original drainage plans for my property?

Depending on the age of your property, even if there are any drainage details on the original Planning application, it may or may not reflect how the drains are now, as changes may have been made during, or since, the house’s original construction.

We recommend you contact the relevant water authority for an Asset Plan relevant to your home.

Do you keep records relating to subsidence in the district?

No, we do not keep records relating to subsidence and would advise that you liaise directly with your surveyor and/or solicitor for guidance.

Access to EIR/FOI information

Environmental Information Regulations (EIR) or Freedom of Information (FOI) requests can be made via this form:

Submit a Freedom of Information Request

Or email:

Responses are normally sent out within 20 working days. Visit our Freedom of information page for more information.

Last updated: 21 August 2023