Local Authority Search online request form

A Local Land Charge is a restriction, prohibition or financial charge attached to a piece of land or property.

Some common examples of charges include:

  • Conditions imposed by Planning Permissions
  • Restrictions such as Tree Preservation Orders (TPOs)
  • Enforcement Notices
  • Conservation Areas
  • Legal Agreements
  • Listed Buildings

There are a wide range of other charges that also may affect a property.

A Local Land Charge is binding on all successive owners or occupiers of the property or land.

Our current turnaround is:

  • Official Local Authority Searches - 3-5 Working Days
  • Expedited search - Next working day

Please note if you have ordered your search information via a Personal or private Search company, you should check their current turnaround times with them.

When you buy a house or land your solicitor will usually carry out a Local Authority Search (also called a Local Land Charges Search) as part of the regular checks. 

The search contains two parts – the LLC1 and CON29.

The LLC1
Experienced and skilled council officers inspect and interpret the Local Land Charges registers and give you the full information for that property or piece of land.

See an Example LLC1 form.

A Personal Search can be carried out by the home mover themselves or by a private Personal Search agent or company. With a Personal Search the person undertaking the search inspects the Local Land Charges Registers.

The CON29
This contains additional information regarding the property or land. Some of the CON29 includes applications, notices and orders that are in the process of being made, that potential home buyers would need to be aware of.

The CON29 answers over 60 questions from a range of council departments including:

  • Planning
  • Building Control
  • Environmental Health
  • Highways (answered by West Sussex County Council)

See an Example CON29 form.

The CON29O (Optional) form
Any or all of these further questions can be requested with a search, which cover areas such as:

  • Pipelines
  • Noise abatement
  • Environmental issues
  • Pollution notices

See an Example CON29O form.

Local Authority Search online request form

Printed application by post

Please provide:

  • Completed LLC1 and Con29 forms
  • Two copies of an up-to-date Ordnance Survey plan outlining the property in red at a scale of 1:1250 or 1:2500
  • A cheque made payable to 'Mid Sussex District Council'

Please contact us using the information at the bottom of this page if you require more information.

We can offer an expedited (fast-track) service, returning your search the next working day. Searches are input at 9am each morning. Expedited searches received up to 9am will be input that day and returned the next working day.

For example, a search submitted before 9am Tuesday will be back with you on Wednesday.

When ordering your search via our online forms, just choose the Expedited Search option. 

Cost: £30 (including VAT)

Personal Searches

How do I book a Personal Search?

Make an appointment by telephone with Local Land Charges – 01444-477444.

Appointments are 30 minutes, with no restriction on the number of searches in the appointment. If you do not complete your searches within the appointment you will have to make another appointment.

If you need to cancel an appointment, please do so at the earliest possible opportunity, so the appointment can then be made available to another company.

If you search more addresses than you originally booked for an appointment, please let us know during your visit so we can adjust our records accordingly.

Also, if you complete extra searches in an appointment that were already booked for future appointments, please let us know so we can make that future appointment available to other companies.

We currently have paper maps and registers. Instructions in how to use this system on your visit are here – How to use the Local Land Charges Register.

How do I inspect the Planning history of a property/land?

Planning history from 2007 onwards is on the Online Planning Register.

Older history is available to view in reception at the council offices.

How can I obtain unrefined CON29 information?

Access to CON29 Information (Updated 2019)

How do I request information via Environmental Information Regulations (EIR)?

Contact the Council's Freedom of Information (FOI) officer. Further details can be found on our web site - Environmental Information Regulations or email foi@midsussex.gov.uk.

How to buy or sell a home

The Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government has published two new guides on buying and selling a home.



Contact us

Tel: 01444-477444
Email: landcharges@midsussex.gov.uk
Local Land Charges
Mid Sussex District Council
DX 300320
Haywards Heath 1

Last updated: 13 August 2019