Over the weekend of the 17th and 18th August there was an issue with our email services, meaning that we did not receive any emails. If you contacted us via email over this weekend, you will need to re-send your email. We apologise for any inconvenience this causes you.
New Affordable Housing - Information for developers
Mid Sussex District Council works with housing associations, developers, landowners and Homes England.
Affordable housing requirements
Changes to affordable housing requirements
The new District Plan includes a new affordable housing policy.
The new District Plan Policy DP31 Affordable Housing' reads as follows:
"The Council will seek:
- The provision of a minimum of 30% on-site affordable housing for all residential developments providing 11 dwellings or more, or a maximum combined gross floorspace (measured as gross internal floorspace) of more than 1,000m2
- For residential developments in the High Weald Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty providing 6 – 10 dwellings, a commuted payment towards off-site provision, equivalent to providing 30% on-site affordable housing
- On sites where the most recent use has been affordable housing, as a minimum, the same number of affordable homes should be re-provided, in accordance with current mix and tenure requirements
- A mix of tenure of affordable housing, normally approximately 75% social or affordable rented homes, with the remaining 25% for intermediate homes, unless the best available evidence supports a different mix and
- Free serviced land for the affordable housing.
All affordable housing should be integrated with market housing and meet national technical standards for housing including “optional requirements” set out in this District Plan (Policies DP25: Dwelling Space Standards; DP26: Accessibility and DP42: Water Infrastructure and the Water Environment); or any other such standard which supersedes these Proposals that do not meet these requirements will be refused unless significant clear evidence demonstrates to the Council’s satisfaction that the site cannot support the required affordable housing from a viability and deliverability perspective.
Viability should be set out in an independent viability assessment on terms agreed by the relevant parties, including the Council, and funded by the developer.
This will involve an open book approach. The Council’s approach to financial viability, alongside details on tenure mix and the provision of affordable housing will be set out in a Supplementary Planning Document.
The policy will be monitored and kept under review having regard to the Council’s Housing Strategy and any changes to evidence of housing needs."
Full details of our affordable housing policies can be found in our Development and infrastructure supplementary planning documents.
All new housing developments should be discussed with the Housing Enabling Team before any plans are drafted. Please find contact details at the bottom of this page.
If it is not financially viable to provide the affordable housing required by Mid Sussex District Council:
You will be expected to support your application with full financial details of the scheme - including the costs of the development and its estimated value
We will employ an independent valuer paid by you to evaluate the figures provided and advise us on the financial viability of your scheme
Vacant Building Credit
Vacant Building Credit was introduced by the Government to bring back into use developed sites with vacant buildings.
Failure to comply
Planning permission will not usually be given to developments that fail to meet the Mid Sussex's planning policy requirements - including the requirement for affordable housing.
Housing Association Contact Details
Head of New Business and Delivery
Moat Housing Association
Raven Housing Trust
Stonewater Housing Association
Rural Exception Sites
Specialist rural housing providers who work to deliver Rural Exception Sites in Mid Sussex:
Rural Exception Sites
Mid Sussex works with parish councils to build small, 100% affordable housing schemes called 'Rural Exception Sites'.
They are located just outside village boundaries - where housing would not normally be granted planning permission.
The housing is for people with a local connection to the parish - and will remain for local people forever.
A rural exception site can make a big difference to a parish.
It can help to:
- Meet the housing needs of local people
- Maintain local services such as shops, post offices, pubs and schools
- Help village networks
- Add social balance
A 'rural housing needs' survey and information from the Common Housing Register is needed from very early on in the planning process.
Rural exception sites are developed in partnership between:
- Mid Sussex District Council
- Parish councils
- Action in Rural Sussex
We also work with Specialist housing associations:
Housing Enabling Manager