Financial Advice

In case you have money trouble due to benefit changes and need help, we have gathered some advice on this page. 

Before looking into these options then you may have some luck talking to your landlord about your rent payments.

If you are struggling to pay your Council Tax you may find the following link useful:

Struggling to Pay - Mid Sussex District Council

Discretionary Housing Payments

Discretionary Housing Payments (DHP) may be available if you have been affected by the benefit changes and are struggling to pay your rent. DHP needs to be applied for from us, but the fund is limited so we may not be able to help everyone that applies.

Discretionary Housing Payments

Citizens Advice

Citizens Advice offer free and independent debt advice.

Citizens Advice has eight advice centres in Mid Sussex, including offices in Burgess Hill, East Grinstead, Haywards Heath.

Citizens Advice Website

Money Advice Service

The Money Advice Service has been set up by the Government. It provides advice, tips and tools to get your finance under control and make your money go further.

The Money Advice Service Website


StepChange Debt Charity provides free debt help advice and support.

Help is available anonymously through their debt help tool - StepChange Debt Remedy

StepChange Website

Universal Credit Assistance

We can offer Assisted Digital Support and Personal Budgeting Support for Universal Credit Claimants.

These services help make sure that you can make and maintain a claim. They also provide skills to effectively budget your Universal Credit payments.

Last updated: 21 March 2024