How can I register?

Register to vote

  1. Go to
  2. Fill in your details including national insurance number and email address

How can I register for absent voting?

Anybody who is registered on the Electoral Register can apply to vote by post or appoint a proxy to vote on their behalf.

For more information on absent voting, please see our dedicated webpage here:

Please note: The way in which you apply for a postal or proxy vote, and the information you need to provide on an application form is changing from the 31st October 2023. If you download a form using the link above, make sure to return it before the 31st October 2023. Any forms received after this date may be rejected or returned to you for further information.

I'm already registered – Do I need to do anything?

No. We will contact you if we need any more information from you. 

To find out more go to: Your vote matters.

What if I'm not registered?

The law says that you must register to vote. If you are not on the register you will find it very hard to:

  • Open a bank account
  • Get credit, loans or a mortgage

Important: You will not be able to vote if your name is not on the Register of Electors.

How do I find out if I'm on the register?

Please contact us using the information at the bottom of this page.

I'm moving home – What should I do?

Complete a new registration form online. Once you have been added at your new home, we will delete your entry at the old property.

16 and 17 Year Olds

If you are 16 or 17 the law says you may register to vote straight away. You can do this yourself in less than 5 minutes.

Register to vote

Fill in your details including your national insurance number and your email address.

You will be able to vote in elections that happen on or after your 18th birthday.

Citizens of EU member states

If you are a citizen of a European Union member state you may register to vote in local elections

If the UK takes part in European Parliament elections on 23 May and you’re a citizen of an EU country (other than the UK, Ireland, Malta and Cyprus) resident in the UK, you can either vote in the UK or in your home country.

More information for EU Citizens can be found on the Government website.

How often is the register updated and who is it sent to?

Monthly alterations are provided to credit reference agencies and political parties

Every year in July, the Electoral Services department sends a Household Enquiry Form to each household in the district. This is called the ‘Annual Canvass’.

The revised Register of Electors will be published by 1st December and you must respond no later than the 17th November to be included.

Please note: If you miss the November deadline you can still apply and your name will be added to the register at the next monthly update

How do I change my name on the register?

Change your name by completing a Change of name form.

You will need to supply evidence of the change with the completed form

What happens to my information after I’ve registered?

We will only use the information you give us for electoral purposes. Personal contact details such as telephone numbers and email addresses are not included in the electoral register.

We will not give personal information about you and the other people in your household to anyone else unless we have to by law.

We keep two registers:

The Electoral Register
Used for:

  • Political parties, candidates and their agents for election purposes
  • Law enforcement for the prevention and detection of crime
  • HM Courts Service for the random selection of citizens for jury service
  • Credit referencing purposes

The Open Register
The open register is an extract of the electoral register, but is not used for elections. It can be bought by any person, company or organisation.  For example, it is used by businesses and charities to confirm name and address details.

Your name will be included in the open register unless you ask for it to be removed.

You can find out more information on both registers on the register to vote page.

How do I remove my name from the open register?

Apply to remove your name from the open register

Removing your details from the open register will not affect your right to vote or your credit score.

You can use the 'opt out – open register' option on the registration form. You can also change your preference on the open register by filling in the Electoral Register preferences form

If you have already removed your name from the open register, you do not need to do anything else unless you have moved home or for any reason you have needed to re-apply. To check your open register status, contact us.

Contact us

Tel: 01444-477003

Last updated: 24 October 2023