Independent Panel to Review Members' Allowances
What is the panel?
Local authorities are required, by the Local Government Act 2000, to establish independent remuneration panels to make recommendations to the Council about the allowances that should be paid to elected members of the authority. Although the final decision is a matter for the Council, there is a legal requirement to take into account the recommendations of the independent panel.
The Council is required to set a new scheme of allowance on an annual basis, after taking into account the recommendations of the panel.
Mid Sussex District Council has had an independent remuneration panel of three people since 2001. There are currently three vacancies on the Panel as the term of office for the current members of the panel has now expired.
Appointment of the panel
Members of the panel must:
- Be 18 or over;
- Be a Commonwealth, Irish or European Citizen;
- Live or Work in Mid Sussex;
- Not be a Mid Sussex District Council employee, or employed by a company under the control of the Council;
- Not be elected councillors of any local authority or anyone who is disqualified from being an elected councillor of any local authority.
- Personal Integrity
- Commitment to Confidentiality
- Ability to absorb key information
- Ability to work with other members of the Panel
- Knowledge of how local government operates.
The Panel usually meets on around 5 occasions between July and November and there is some follow up work conducted by phone or email.
The Panel usually meet during office hours but may attend evening meetings depending on the availability of panel members. You may also be consulted on allowances matters at other times of the year.
The panel normally attend the November or December meeting of Council to present their report which is advisory only.
The work of the panel
The Panel is responsible for making recommendations to the Council on:
- The level of basic allowance to be paid to elected members
- The categories of elected Members who should receive a special responsibility allowance and the amount of such an allowance
- The level of carer’s allowance
- The level of travelling and subsistence allowances
- Allowances to be paid to co-opted members of the Council
Current scheme of allowances
Application and appointment process and timetable
If you wish to apply for appointment to the Panel, please complete the application form and return it to:
Senior Democratic Services Officer
Mid Sussex District Council,
By no later than 5.00pm on Friday 22 Feburary 2019.
Interviews will take place in the week commencing Monday 4 March 2019.