There are over 1,000 listed buildings in Mid Sussex. These are buildings of special architectural or historic interest.
How do I find out if a building is listed?
Please visit the National Heritage List for England searchable database.
- Listed buildings
- Scheduled monuments
- Registered parks and gardens
- Registered battlefields
- Protected wreck sites
What requires listed building consent?
Listed buildings are protected under the Planning (Listed buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990.
The listing covers:
- The interior and exterior of the building
- Any structure within the curtilage of the listed building dating from before 1st July 1948
Please visit Historic England for more information on Listed Buildings and curtilage
Do I need consent for alterations to listed buildings?
Listed building consent is required for any alterations which affect the special interest of the listed building.
Work needing consent can range from removing an internal feature to adding an extension.
We suggest getting a professionally qualified person with experience of listed buildings to act on your behalf and supervise the work when carrying out repairs.
The type of work that needs Listed Building Consent includes:
- Any demolition
- Replacement windows including secondary glazing
- Stripping out internal plaster work to walls or ceilings
- Repairs not carried out in matching materials
- Exposing timbers and brickwork previously hidden behind plaster or limewash
- Removal or alteration to internal features such as doors, cupboards, panelling and fireplaces
- Changes to the layout of internal rooms
- New plumbing - where this has an impact on the listed building
- Painting of unpainted surfaces - where this will have a visual impact and affect the character of the listed building
Please note: This list is for guidance only. Contact the planning department if there is any doubt as to whether Listed Building Consent is required.
It is a criminal offence to carry out any work that affects the character of the building without obtaining the necessary consent.
Can I make an application to get a building listed?