Apply for a Temporary Road Closure
Yes. Anyone can apply for a road closure for a special or community event.
Applications should be made at least 6 weeks in advance.
Requests must be sent to us using the above application form. You must also send us a map of the proposed closure and diversion routes. For large closures involving different roads a traffic management plan may be required.
Public liability insurance of £10 million is required for all types of temporary road closures – except simple street parties. A copy of your insurance must accompany the application form.
You must ensure that:
- There is pedestrian access at all times
- There is vehicle access for emergencies at all times
- You have Highway Authority approval of road closure and diversion signs
- Street fire hydrants are not obstructed
The organiser is responsible for
- Stewarding the event
- Clearing the highway after the event has finished.
- Any damage to the highway – including street furniture
- Informing all those houses/businesses affected by the Closure Order. This must be done in writing at least 14 days prior to the event
Be aware that:
- No help can be given by the Police in removal of vehicles from the closed length of road during the preparation of the event
- No claims will be entertained by the County Council (as highway authority), the District Council, the Town or Parish Council or any statutory undertaker in respect of any accident, damage or injury sustained as a result of the event. The onus is on the organiser to obtain the necessary insurance cover
For more information please read: Department of Communities & Local Government advice for organising street parties