Coronavirus (Covid-19). We urge all residents and businesses to follow advice from Public Health England. Find all the latest information and advice on our dedicated Coronavirus Community Support page.
East Court & Ashplats Wood
The East Court Estate is overlooked by the East Court mansion which has views over the parkland recreation ground towards Ashplats Wood and the Ashdown Forest beyond.
East Court is located to the east of East Grinstead town centre. The mansion is home to East Grinstead Town Council and hosts events and weddings.
Features and facilities
- Woodland playground
- Sports pitches – home to East Grinstead Town Football Club and East Grinstead Stoolball Club
- Pavilion – sports changing facilities and kitchen
- Lake – a secluded wildlife haven
- Children’s play area - managed by East Grinstead Town Council
- Car parking – there is plenty of free car parking for people using East Court & Ashplats Wood
- Tennis Courts are owned by East Grinstead Town Council, Managed by Estcots Tennis Club
Next to East Court Recreation Ground is Ashplats Wood, 28 hectares of ancient woodland with streams, ponds, wildlife and woodland walks.
A way-marked 2.5 km East Courts & Ashplats Wood circular route takes walkers around the open parkland of East Court and the woodland of Ashplats Wood.
The Mid Sussex District Council Park Rangers explore Ashplats Wood in this short video:
The Ashplats Conservation Group is a group of volunteers that engage in practical conservation within the woodland.
Management of East Court & Ashplats Wood
The grounds are owned by East Grinstead Memorial Estates Ltd and leased to us on a long-term lease to manage the Estate. We are responsible for all maintenance and development activities for the Estate and have produced the East Court Estate 10-year Management Plan.
The management of East Court & Ashplats Wood is overseen by a steering committee made up of:
- Mid Sussex District Council
- East Grinstead Memorial Estate Ltd
- East Grinstead Town Council
East Court & Ashplats Wood is also important for planning reasons.
To find out more about this and how East Court & Ashplats Wood helps protect Ashdown Forest, please visit the our Protecting Ashdown Forest page.
Where is it?
Buses stop to the north of the park on Holtye Road and to the south on Estcots Drive.
It's a 15 minute walk from the centre of East Grinstead.
See our What’s On in Mid Sussex page to find out details on up-coming events.