Any charity wishing to collect money on the street requires a street collection permit.

There is no fee required.

Apply Online:

Apply for a Street Collection licence online

Application Guidance and Restrictions

  • A permit is not required on private property but the consent of the land owner must be obtained.
  • The Orchards, Haywards Heath - The Martlets and Market Place, Burgess Hill and Queens Walk, East Grinstead are privately owned but are still part of the public highway.
  • In addition to obtaining a permit from the Council, you should also obtain permission to collect from the Managing Agents.
  • Only one charity can operate in one town on any given day
  • Applicants should allow at least 28 days for a decision to be made. If you have not heard from us within 14 days of your application - please contact us using the information at the bottom of this page
  • Tacit consent' does not apply. This means you cannot act as if your application has been granted if you do not receive your licence/permit within a certain time after we confirm we have received your applicatio 

For further information please read the Street collection conditions

Paper Application:

Collection returns

You must fill in a Charity collection return form after the collection has taken place and return it the Licensing Team.

Contact us


Last updated: 03 July 2024