A personal licence is needed if you intend to sell alcohol or if you wish to be nominated as a ‘Designated Premises Supervisor (DPS)'.

Applicants must:

  • Be aged 18 years or over
  • Possess a recognised licensing qualification
  • Have not been convicted of certain criminal offences

The holder of a Personal Licence is authorised to sell or supply alcohol - or to authorise the sale or supply of alcohol - from a premises licensed for the sale of alcohol.

It is NOT an authority in its own right to sell alcohol.

These licences are ‘portable' between premises.

What do I need to apply?

Before you start please read:

Then send us the following:

Please post the above information to the Licensing Team with a cheque for £37 payable to 'Mid Sussex District Council'.

Renewing your personal licence

You do not need to renew your licence. It never expires. Legislation in 2015 removed the expiry date on Personal Licences.

Change of details

Send a letter and both parts of your licence - stating the new details or reason for requesting a replacement (including the removal of an expiry date) to our Licensing Team. 

Please include a cheque for £10.50 payable to 'Mid Sussex District Council'.

Contact us

Licensing Team
Tel: 01444-477419
Email: licensing@midsussex.gov.uk

Last updated: 21 August 2023