Data protection

Data protection laws keep your privacy safe. They make sure that your personal information is dealt with fairly and lawfully.

Personal information includes such things as:

  • Your name and address
  • Council Tax details
  • Electoral registration

You can read our Data Protection Policy here.

Why does the Council hold information about me?

We hold data about you so that we can:

  • Provide you with services
  • Maintain records of the services we provide

For details of how we deal with your data then please see our privacy notice.

To find out more about data protection please visit: the government data protection website.

Requesting information about myself

How can I access information about myself?

First read our guidance notes. Then either:

We will get back to you within 30 calendar days after we have received:

  • Your request
  • Any accompanying documents

Please note: You are only permitted to access information about yourself.

We may withhold information that includes information about somebody else.

We may extend the time limit by up to two months, where necessary, taking into account the complexity and number of the requests.

We may also charge a reasonable fee, taking into account the administrative costs of providing the information or communication.

If you have any questions please email us using the address above or contact the Data Protection Officer:

Tel: 01444-477422

Can I make a request for someone else?


But we need to be absolutely sure that you are authorised by them to make the request.

Proof needs to be in writing and signed by that person.

Can I make a request on behalf of someone who is too young?


Parents or carers can make applications on behalf of children - but they have no automatic right to the information.

We will only give out information if it is in the best interests of the child.

Please note: We will be guided by the wishes of a child old enough to give informed consent.

Can I make a request on behalf of someone who does not understand their rights?


But you will need to provide a 'lasting power of attorney'.


Am I covered by the Data Protection Act (DPA) if I install CCTV?

Images of people are covered by the Data Protection Act.

And so is information about people which is taken from images.

Most uses of CCTV by organisations or businesses will be covered by the Act regardless of the number of cameras or how sophisticated the equipment is.

More information: 

Do I need to do anything if I am covered by the Data Protection Act?

You will have to:

  • Inform the Information Commissioner (ICO)
  • Let ICO know if you give the recorded images to anyone other than the police or a similar law enforcement agency

Please also read: A data protection code of practice for surveillance cameras and personal information.

CCTV footage and your rights

How do I request images of myself that are held on CCTV?

You will need to complete a Data subject access form.

This requires you to:

  • Give us the day, the time within one hour and your location
  • Provide a brief description of what you were wearing
  • Provide a full face photograph
  • Tell us if you want a permanent copy in the form of video or photograph
  • Provide proof of your identification

Please note: Mid Sussex District Council will only give you this information if it is satisfied as to your identity.

Can my request be refused?

Yes - if others can be identified in the images or if there are criminal or civil proceedings that the video may be used as evidence for.

We will only share these images with you if:

  • We can blank out all identification of other people/vehicles in the video
  • Other people in the images have given their consent
  • We decide it is reasonable to give consent
  • The recording is not likely to be used for criminal or civil proceedings

Please note: We will always explain why we are unable to share any CCTV images or data with you.

How long will you take to process my request?

No more than 30 days after receiving your completed form.

We keep CCTV images and data for 31 days.

And 60 days for body worn camera images. These images are then destroyed.

Who else can make requests for CCTV evidence?
  • The police
  • Statutory authorities such as local authorities, Customs & Excise, Trading Standards, etc.
  • Solicitors
  • Insurance companies
  • Claimants in civil proceedings
  • Accused persons or defendants in criminal proceedings

Contact us

Information Manager
Tel: 01444-477422

Last updated: 24 April 2024