People With Physical Disabilities

If you are a person with physical disabilities you may be able to have your home adapted to meet your needs. If you are on a low income, you may be eligible for a Disabled Facilities Grant to help finance these adaptations.  For more details, contact the Housing Standards Team at Mid Sussex District Council on 01444 477300.

Contact Adult Connect on 01243 642121 to be referred to an Occupational Therapist if you are physically disabled and experiencing difficulty managing everyday activities. Where alterations or adaptations to your home have been recommended by an Occupational Therapist you will be referred to the Housing Standards Team to apply for a Disabled Facilities Grant.

If you wish to move to an adapted property, you will need to register on the Common Housing Register to apply for a suitable property. Please provide details of your disabilities and whether you are a wheelchair user. Also provide details of your occupational therapist or social worker, if you have one.

You may need support to help you manage your tenancy. At some schemes, support is provided on site whereas at others support would have to be arranged separately. This could be through a floating support scheme; through West Sussex Social & Caring Services; or by employing your own care and support worker by means of Direct Payments.

Contact West Sussex County Council Adult Services for a free assessment of your needs if you think you need help with personal care, tel: 0845 0751014. See the Adults Looking for Support page of their website for further information.

Telecare and Lifeline services can also help you to live independently and stay in your home through a telephone-based personal alarm system providing rapid response any time of the day or night.

Further Information


If you would like more details about any of the above please contact:

Housing Enabling Manager
Telephone: 01444 477431

Useful websites