If you are a housing association or council tenant, a mutual exchange or 'homeswap' may be your best option if you want to move to another home.

A homeswap may be quicker than waiting for a transfer.

What is a homeswap?

Where two or more social housing tenants agree to swap homes with one another.

How do I arrange a homeswap?

Most council and housing association tenants have a right to exchange with another social tenant anywhere in the country.

Both tenants wanting to house swap must have the written permission from their landlord before agreeing to move. You should not move before both landlords have agreed to the homeswap.

Please read our Mid Sussex home swapping guide.

Homeswap websites

Last updated: 21 August 2023