Parking FAQs

On this page you can find links to our most common queries about parking:

  • Cars are parking on the pavement \ verge

    There is no law outside of London which allows a Penalty Charge Notice (PCN) to be served for this reason on its own.

    The Council can issue a PCN if the vehicle is parked next to a parking control. This could be something like a yellow line, because the control also covers the pavement and the verge.  If there is no parking control, the Council cannot issue a Notice.

    Even if there is no law, vehicles should not park on the pavement or grass verge at any time. 

  • Where can I park in Mid Sussex?

    If you wish to know the locations of our car park, please visit our Car Parks page.

    If you would like to know the restrictions for a certain road in Mid Sussex, you need to go to the West Sussex County Council website and look it up on their online map.

  • But if I write in, won't I lose the discount?

    There is no law to hold the charge while you write in, but it would be unfair to expect you to pay if you are waiting to hear back from us. We will reoffer the discount for another 14 days only if we say no to your appeal. However, we only do this the once, and we make it clear when we write that we won't offer it again. If you choose to write in after this time, then you much not expect a further extension on the discount.

  • What happens if I don't pay?

    If you do nothing, the Council applies to the DVLA for the address of the Owner.  This might not be you, but under law it is the Owner who is liable.  Once the address is provided, the Council will send out what is called in law a Notice to Owner. This is a formal written Notice which explains the charge is unpaid and the Owner must either pay the full charge or make what is called a formal Representation.  Depending on the Council's decision the PCN is either closed, or the Council will reject it and supply forms to the Independent Adjudicator.

    However if no action is taken against the Notice to Owner, the charge will increase, and eventually we will take action to recover the charge.

    The Legal Act which Councils operate under when enforcing parking also gives them the powers to pursue an unpaid Penalty as if it were a debt, which can mean an Enforcement Agent (bailiff) becomes involved.

  • Can I pay and appeal?

    We suggest you do not pay if you want to challenge. We always reoffer the discount in the first fourteen days of the Notice if we do not accept your reasons.

    If you pay and do not challenge, or you accept the Council’s reoffer of the discount, the Council cannot send you a Notice to Owner. A Notice to Owner can only be sent when there is an outstanding charge.

    The Council will not accept any payments with conditions attached as there is an appeals process.

  • There is an Enforcement Agent pursuing me for the debt. Now what do I do?

    An Enforcement Agent (EA) is what used to be called a Bailiff. It is far too late to talk to the Council and request they deal with it the case.

    The Council is still responsible for the Enforcement Agent's actions, but the charges are laid out by an Act and are now used by all EAs in the Country.

    We allow 56 days for the Defendant to make an Appeal, and a further minimum period of time before a Court Order is sent. This allows plenty of time for the case to be dealt with. The Council also sends several items of post to notify the individual of what is happening. Claims of lost post are not accepted as a defence without evidence

  • Why don't the pay and display machines give change?

    It is very unusual for pay and display machines to give change, and we are not aware of any Councils, or indeed manufacturers, which supply anything like this.  Pay and Display machines are the kind that stand alone in a car park.  If they were to hold change it would require the machines to be moved to a secure area (against a wall) in order to meet insurance criteria. The capacity would need to be increased, and extra staff would need to be employed to regularly top up the change.  It is simply not practical to look at increasing insurance fees, staffing, and security on this basis. Pay on Foot is an alternative, but at a current cost of approximately £16,000 per machine it is not cost effective to do so.

  • If I put extra money in when buying a pay and display ticket do I get extra time?

    No. The machine's software is set up to give time according to the charges on the board.  Paying in increments (e.g., 5p over the published charge will give 5 minutes extra) is a very complicated programme for the machines to run.