Skip to content

The Self Service system is currently down for maintenance. You will be unable to see details about your account online currently. Apologies for any inconvenience caused.

Benefits & Council Tax Support


This page provides an overview of the benefits available. There are two types of benefits available, housing benefit and council tax support, you can find further information on both below.

Council Tax Support

Council Tax Support is a benefit given out by local Councils. The scheme provides help with Council Tax payments in two ways.

Main Council Tax Support

This is the most common form of support. This helps people on low income pay their Council Tax.

Second Adult Rebate (not available for Horsham District Council residents)

This is not based on your needs, but on the income of certain adults in your household.  

The rebate should pay the Council Tax payer for the loss of a discount due to a “second adult” being added to the home. 

If you are eligible for both types of council tax support, then you will be awarded the higher amount. 

Further information on Council Tax Support & Housing Benefit

Housing Benefit

The Housing Benefit Scheme is a means tested benefit that is given out by local Councils. The purpose of the scheme is to make sure that people have enough money to afford to pay the rent of suitable housing. 

If you are on a low income and you rent your home then you may be able to get Housing Benefit. You may also be eligible if you are on a part buy part rent scheme.

You cannot usually get Housing Benefit if you live in a close relative’s household and you cannot get Housing Benefit if you own your home or to help with mortgage payments. 

Further information on Council Tax Support & Housing Benefit

Apply for Housing Benefit / Council Tax Support

 Forms are also available at all of our main offices.

When to claim?

You should claim as soon as you think you may be entitled to Housing and/or Council Tax Support as there are rules governing the time limits for which claims can be submitted. 

If you are moving into a new property then you can submit your claim as soon as you know the exact date. 

We can accept advance claims as long as they are received within 13 weeks (17 weeks for pensioners) of the date of a change that means you may be entitled to Housing and/or Council Tax Support.

Help completing the claim form?

Please call us and a member of staff will explain everything you need to provide with your claim form. 

Contact Benefits

You can also visit any of our offices or help points where a member of our staff will be happy to help you complete your claim.