From the 1st January 2015, if you are planning to build houses within 7km of Ashdown Forest, you are required to make two separate financial contributions for each property that you build. A completed Planning Obligation Instruction Form will need to be included alongside your planning application.
These contributions ensure that the effects of any increase in visitors to Ashdown Forest, as a result of these extra dwellings, is mitigated by:
- Contributing to a Suitable Alternative Natural Greenspace (SANG) - this area has been identified as East Court & Ashplats Wood in East Grinstead
- Contributing to ongoing visitor management projects and monitoring on Ashdown Forest - Strategic Access Management and Monitoring (SAMM)
On larger sites, a Suitable Alternative Natural Greenspace could either be provided on the development site itself or through a financial contribution as above.
Mitigation strategies and tariffs
- East Court & Ashplats Wood SANG Strategy
- East Court & Ashplats Wood SANG Tariff
- Interim SAMM Strategy and Tariff
The area of the District affected
- District wide map of the 7km zone around Ashdown Forest
- Detailed map of the 7km zone around Ashdown Forest
Ashdown Forest Code of Conduct for Dog Walkers
- Ashdown Forest Code of Conduct for Dog Walkers - Poster
- Ashdown Forest Code of Conduct for Dog Walkers - Leaflet
- Ashdown Forest Life Magazine - Special 'Dogs on the Forest' Issue
Permitted development within the 7km zone around Ashdown Forest and applications to discharge the SANG planning condition
The Government has recently extended the permitted development rights for the change of use of certain buildings to flats and dwelling houses. However, for development sites within 7km of the Ashdown Forest Special Protection Area (SPA), the Conservation of Habitats and Species Regulations 2010 (external link) also apply.
The permitted development rights must not be begun until a written notification of approval has been received. Any developer or person wishing to build within this 7km zone must apply to the District Council for a discharge of the Habitats Regulations condition on the discharge of conditions form and submit the relevant fee of £30. The application should be accompanied by a covering letter (headed 'Regulation 75 Applications under the Habitats Regulations 2010') and a site plan. The letter should set out the nature of the use or development.
In addition please complete the SANG planning obligation instruction form which should also be submitted with an application to discharge the SPA planning condition which is attached to relevant planning permissions
- Habitats Regulations Assessment for the District Plan
- Natural England Letter - SAMM Interim Mitigation Strategy
- Natural England Letter - Appropriate Assessments of Planning Applications
- SANG Guidance
- Briefing Note for Town and Parish Councils
- Managing Ashdown Forest
Tel: 01444 477566