The Council aims to give you the best possible service but, as in any large organisation things do, occasionally, go wrong.

If you are unhappy with:

  • the standard of service which you have received;
  • the Council's actions;
  • the lack of action


  • an unnecessary delay

We would like to have the opportunity to resolve the problem.  Please refer to the following for our online complaint form and guidance regarding complaints procedure;

What do I do now?

If you wish to complain please write to the Business Unit Leader for the Service concerned. Click here to see who to complain to.

We ask you to put your complaint in writing to avoid any possible uncertainty or misunderstanding. A complaint may be made using our secure complaints form as above, via email to or by letter.

Please call the Council’s Customer Services Manager on 01444 477510 if you are unsure who to address your letter to.

Contacting your Local Councillor

You can ask your local Councillor to pursue the matter for you. Further information is available from the reception at the Council Offices.

Generally, you would ask the Councillor for your local area to pursue the complaint, but any Councillor may take it up if requested.

Councillors receive regular updates on the numbers and types of complaints received.

What happens next?

Once you have made your complaint you will be sent a written acknowledgement, as soon as possible, and normally no later than five working days after it is received.

Your complaint will be fully investigated by the Business Unit Leader concerned. A response will then be sent to you within ten working days of your complaint having been received. If, for some reason, it is not possible to respond within this time, a written explanation will be sent to you.

What if I am not satisfied with the response?

If you are not satisfied with the response you receive, you have a right of appeal to a Head of Service, who does not have responsibility for the service concerned. You should write to the Complaints Officer who will allocate the complaint to a Head of Service.

The Head of Service will let you have a full response to your appeal as soon as possible.

This is the final level of appeal within the Council, but if you are still not satisfied, you may be able to appeal to the Local Government Ombudsman, full details are available on the LGO website. A leaflet titled 'Complained to the Council? Still not Satisfied?' can also be sent to you if you do not have internet access. If your complaint is about an FOI request and you are not satisfied with the response from the Council you can take the complaint to the Information Commissioner, full details are available on the ICO website.

Facts and figures

To keep the public informed, the Council will publish an annual complaints report, but names and addresses will not be printed as individual cases are treated in the strictest confidence.

Local Government Ombudsman Documents


Customer Services & Communications
Oaklands Road
Haywards Heath
West Sussex
RH16 1SS

Tel: 01444 477510