This popular local heritage park covers an area of just under six hectares and is situated on the western edge of Haywards Heath. It hosts some beautiful views of the South Downs and has a wide range of facilities on offer, making it popular with locals and visitors alike.
Features & Facilities
- Miniature Railway - Take a ride on a steam-powered, miniature locomotive on a half mile journey around the gardens with views across Mid-Sussex's beautiful countryside. (small charge made) For further information please visit the Beech Hurst Park Miniature Railway website
- Family Restaurant - A perfect place to grab a bite to eat with good food, views out across the gardens, toilet facilities and free parking. For further information please visit The Harvester website
- Children's Playground - A well equipped, easily accessible and safe play area suitable for young children.
- Bowls - the home of Haywards Heath and Beech Hurst Bowling Club. The green is considered to be amongst the best in the county and is regularly used. Anyone can book a rink with our online bookings service.
- Petanque Pistes - Completed in Autumn 2008, the new international competition standard petanque area has six pistes, which are hired by Haywards Heath Petanque Club. The smaller petanque facility by the cottages has been retained for the time being and can be used as an informal practice area. Anyone can book a piste with our online bookings service.
- Tennis Courts - The three courts are regularly used by local tennis clubs and casual users throughout the year. The Courts can be booked through our online bookings service all year round.
- Winter Garden and Pergola - Take a break and relax in these quiet seating spaces
- Picnic Lawn - A great open space to relax, have a picnic, play with your children, read a book or just simply enjoy the view.
- Flora & Fauna – The Park is laid out with ornamental tree and shrub planting with herbaceous beds adding spring and summer interest.
How to get there
Butler’s Green Road (A272)
Buses stop outside the park on Butlers Green Road, or it’s a 10 minute walk from Haywards Heath train station.
Beech Hurst Gardens has been awarded the prestigious Green Flag for 8 years in a row. The scheme recognises and rewards the best green spaces in the country, for more information see the Green Flag website.
The management plan for Beech Hurst Gardens provides a lot more detail about the gardens, their history, and how they are looked after.
The Beech Hurst estate has remained intact for over 140 years and whilst there have been losses, most notably the house itself, gains have been made through provision of recreational facilities for the local community. More details of the history of the garden are covered in a report prepared by Sussex Gardens Trust in 2005.
- To book any of the facilities at the park: 01444 477379 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- To talk about park maintenance e.g. Grass cutting, litter or trees at the park: 01444 477439 or email@example.com
- To talk to a Park Ranger about vandalism, dog fouling or for other information about the park: 01444 477561 or firstname.lastname@example.org