What is the District Plan?
The District Plan will be the main planning document used by the Council when considering planning applications. It will cover the period to 2031 and includes the strategy, proposed level of development and a number of planning policies.
District Plan Timetable
|August 2016||Submission to Government|
|Winter 2016||Examination Starts (Housing Matters)|
August 2016: Submission District Plan
The Mid Sussex District Plan 2014-2031 was submitted to Government on the 17th August 2016.
- Mid Sussex District Plan - Pre-Submission (June 2015)
- Mid Sussex District Plan - Focused Amendments to the Pre-Submission District Plan (November 2015)
- Mid Sussex District Plan - Schedule of further modifications (August 2016)
- Mid Sussex District Plan - Version incorporating the Pre-Submission Plan with the Focused Amendments and Further Modifications (August 2016)
- Submission Sustainability Appraisal - Main Report (August 2016)
- Submission Sustainability Appraisal - Non-Technical Summary (August 2016)
- Submission Habitats Regulations Assessment
- District Plan Policies Maps
- Statement of Consultation - Regulation 20 (July 2016)
All of the documents submitted to Government can be found in the Examination Document Library which will be updated as the examination progresses.
The District Plan will now be subjected to an independent examination to be conducted by the Planning Inspectorate. This is a continuous process running from the date of submission through to the receipt of the appointed Planning Inspector’s Report. Part of this process will involve hearing sessions where those invited by the Planning Inspector to attend will have the opportunity to respond to matters raised by the appointed Planning Inspector.
Hearing sessions on Housing Matters will be held at the District Council offices from Tuesday 29th November - Friday 2nd December 2016.
The District Plan Examination page contains information and documents relating to the Mid Sussex District Plan examination including Inspector's correspondence, schedule of hearings, Inspector's questions and matters for hearings, participants statements and agendas.
November 2015: Focused Amendments to the Pre-Submission Draft District Plan
Following consultation on the Pre-Submission Draft District Plan between June and July 2015 and after careful consideration, the Council is proposing to make amendments to the Plan to ensure it meets the needs of Mid Sussex residents and businesses, while protecting the unique character and diversity of the towns and villages.
The main changes to the Pre-Submission Draft District Plan that are proposed in the Focused Amendments are:
- an increase in the housing provision figure from 650 to 800 new homes per year, which will enable the Council to make a contribution to meeting the housing needs of neighbouring authorities;
- the identification of a new strategic site for 600 homes at Pease Pottage;
- the inclusion of a housing density policy to maximise the yield from allocated sites and those in the built-up areas, thereby reducing the unnecessary loss of open countryside;
- the reversion to the previous affordable housing and developer contribution policies following the High Court’s quashing of the Government’s guidance on these matters; and
- updates to reflect new Government policy on self-build homes, energy efficiency, housing and accessibility standards, and Gypsies & Travellers.
The Focused Amendments to the Pre-Submission Draft District Plan were considered by the Scrutiny Committee for Planning And Economic Development on the 10th November 2015. Council approved the Focused Amendments to the Pre-Submission Draft District Plan for consultation on the 11th November 2015. The consultation started on the 19th November 2015 and closed on the 15th January 2016.
The Focused Amendments to the Pre-Submission Draft District Plan documents can be downloaded below:
- District Plan - Schedule of Modifications (November 2015)
- Focused Amendments Sustainability Appraisal - Main Report (November 2015)
- Focused Amendments Sustainability Appraisal Non-Technical Summary (November 2015)
- Focused Amendments Habitats Regulations Assessment (November 2015)
- Community Involvement Plan (November 2015)
- Statement of Representations Procedure (November 2015)
A Summary Report containing summaries of the responses made during the Focused Amendments consultation has been published.
June 2015: Pre-Submission Draft District Plan
Following consultation on the draft District Plan between November 2014 and January 2015, the District Plan was updated to take comments into account. Work has also been completed on housing need and supply, and this is included within the Pre-Submission Draft District Plan. The Pre-Submission Draft District Plan was considered by the Scrutiny Committee for Planning and Economic Development on the 3rd March 2015, and Council on the 18th March 2015. Council approved the District Plan for pre-submission public consultation. The consultation was held between the 12th June and the 24th July 2015.
The Pre-Submission Draft District Plan documents can be downloaded below:
- Pre-Submission District Plan (June 2015)
- Pre-Submission Sustainability Appraisal - Main Report (June 2015)
- Pre-Submission Sustainability Appraisal - Non Technical Summary (June 2015)
- Pre-Submission Habitats Regulations Assessment (June 2015)
- Community Involvement Plan (March 2015)
- Statement of Consultation - Regulation 18 (June 2015)
- Notice of Publication and Statement of Representations Procedure (June 2015)
- Equality Impact Assessment (February 2015)
A Summary Report containing summaries of the responses made during the Pre-Submission consultation has been published.
A number of studies have been used during the preparation of the District Plan to provide evidence and justification for the strategy and policies within the plan. The evidence base can be viewed on the Evidence Base page. All documents relating to the District Plan examination can be found within the Examination Library.
LDF e-mail alerts
Telephone: 01444 477053