The East Court Estate is overlooked by the East Court mansion which has views over the parkland recreation ground towards adjacent Ashplats Wood and the Ashdown Forest beyond.
East Court is located to the east of East Grinstead town centre. The mansion is home to East Grinstead Town Council, and hosts events and weddings.
Features and facilities
- Woodland playground – nestled in the woods the play area is a great place to explore with climbing nets, a slide and some surprises
- Sports pitches – home to East Grinstead Town Football Club and East Grinstead Stoolball Club
- Pavilion – sports changing facilities and kitchen
- Lake – once part of the private gardens of the mansion, the lake is now a secluded wildlife haven
- Children’s play area – at the top of the park, East Grinstead Town Council's children’s playground offers something different to the woodland playground
- Car parking – there is plenty of free car parking for people using East Court
- Tennis courts owned and run by Estcots Tennis Club
Directly adjacent to East Court recreation ground is Ashplats Wood, 28ha of ancient woodland with streams, ponds, wildlife and woodland walks.
A way-marked 2.5 km circular route has been completed which takes in the open parkland of East Court and the woodland of Ashplats Wood.
The Mid Sussex District Council Park Rangers explore Ashplats Wood in this short video:
The Ashplats Conservation Group are a group of enthusiastic volunteers that engage in practical conservation within the woodland.
Management of East Court & Ashplats Wood
The grounds are owned by East Grinstead War Memorial Ltd and leased to Mid Sussex District Council on a long-term lease to manage the Estate. The District Council is responsible for all maintenance and development activities for the Estate and has produced a Management Plan for the Estate, which is overseen by a Steering Group comprising of Mid Sussex District Council, East Grinstead War Memorial Ltd and East Grinstead Town Council.
East Court & Ashplats Wood is also important for planning reasons. To find out more about this and how East Court & Ashplats Wood helps protect Ashdown Forest, please visit the Ashdown Forest page of the website.
How to get there
Buses stop to the north of the park on Holtye Road and to the south on Estcots Drive. It’s a 15 minute walk from the centre of East Grinstead.
- To book any of the facilities at the park: 01444 477379 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- To talk about Park Maintenance, e.g. grass cutting, litter or trees at the park: 01444 477439 or email@example.com
- To talk to a Park Ranger about vandalism, dog fouling or for other information about the park: 01444 477561 or firstname.lastname@example.org