No discount is offered for vacant and unfurnished and newly completed properties.
It is Mid Sussex District Council's policy to charge on all empty properties, with a premium on properties that have been empty for a period of 2 years, increasing once the property is empty for 5 years or more.
Unless an exemption applies, the Council will charge on all properties that have been unoccupied and unfurnished, therefore, the following charges apply:
- 100% - empty for less than 2 years
- 200% - empty for 2 years or more
- 300% - empty for 5 years or more
The following dwellings will be exempt from the additional premiums:
- A dwelling which would be the sole or main residence of a person but which is empty whilst that person resides in accommodation provided by the Ministry of Defence by reason of their employment i.e. service personnel posted away from home; or
- The dwelling which forms part of a single property which includes at least one other dwelling and is being used by a resident of that other dwelling i.e. an annexe