Skip to content

Council Tax

£150 Energy Payments

We’ve now started making payments directly into bank accounts. The process is still ongoing. If you pay Council Tax by direct debit, you will be paid by direct deposit into your bank account. If you do not pay your Council Tax by direct debit, you will need to apply for the £150 energy payment. 

How will I get paid the rebate?


If you pay your Council Tax by Direct Debit:

If you pay your Council Tax by Direct Debit, your payment is to be paid to you automatically and directly deposited in your bank account. If we are unable to pay you automatically, we will write to you by 31st May 2022 advising how to claim your payment.

You do not need to take any action.

If you don't pay your Council Tax by Direct Debit:

If you do not pay your Council Tax by Direct Debit, you will need to make an application for the payment. To apply you will need to register and create an account. You only need to register once.

Click here to apply for your £150 Energy Rebate

To complete the online application you will need:

  • An email address
  • Your property reference number
  • Your Council Tax Account Number
  • Your bank details

Please note: We're aiming for all payments to eligible customers to be made by the end of September 2022.

We aim to approve applications within 14 days, provided no further evidence is needed. At this time, we are unable to provide customers with exact payment dates.

Please watch the following videos if you are having trouble with the application.

How to create an account

Completing your application

Uploading your documents


Who's eligible for the rebate?

The Energy Bill rebate is available to all households in Council Tax bands A to D, (or are in Band E and qualify for the disabled band reduction)

  • You must be liable for the Council Tax bill at the property to be eligible for the rebate, and you will still be eligible if you receive 100% Council Tax Support, or are exempt under class N, S, U or W.
  • Empty homes or second homes are not eligible for the rebate.
  • Only one £150 payment will be made per household, regardless of the number of occupants or liable council taxpayers.


How can I apply for the rebate?

If you don’t pay your Council tax by direct debit, you can apply for the £150 energy payment by clicking the button below

Apply for your £150 Energy Rebate

To apply you will need to create an account with a valid email address. You also need to provide your Council Tax Property Reference. If you don’t know this, you can check your council tax band here.

Please refer to the videos above if you're having trouble filling out the online application.


Further help for low-income households

The Council also has a Local Scheme to pay £150 to those with low incomes. If you are in Council Tax bands E - H and receive Council Tax Support on 1st April 2022 you are eligible to apply.

Apply online for the local scheme

To make your online application, you will need to provide


Can I request a review of my Council Tax Band?

To request a review of your Council Tax band, you will need

  • to explain why you believe your band is incorrect and 
  • provide supporting evidence.

This may not affect your eligibility to the £150 payment. For further information please see: How to challenge your council tax band

Customers should read the following guidance from on council tax bands.


Be aware of scams

Once we have received your application you will receive an email notification from Grant Approval <>. This is an email that will not require you do anything and is not a scam email.

We are aware there are several scams circulating trying to take advantage of the payment process. 

Here are some useful tips to avoid being scammed

  • We will never call you to ask for your bank or personal details over the phone or through text message.
  • If you get an email or text asking for personal details, then do not click on the links.


Find out more about the council tax rebate


The guidance that has been provided by the Government to local councils about the Council Tax Energy Rebate scheme is available on GOV.UK.