If you are responding to a Small Business Rate Relief review letter please complete an application online at
What is Small Business Rate Relief?
Small business rate relief is a reduction in business rates for occupied properties, in England, with a rateable value under £15,000. This relief can only be claimed on one property per business.
Which businesses qualify?
To qualify your business must have
- Only one property
- A rateable value under £15,000
- More than one property where both the following apply
- Rateable value for properties other than your main property is below £2,899
- the total rateable value of all your properties is less than £20,000
If you have an award and obtain additional premises you will retain the relief on the original property for up to 12 months as long as you remain in occupation
Which businesses do not qualify?
- Empty properties
- Properties in receipt of other mandatory relief such as Charity or Rural rate relief
- Properties with a rateable value over £15,000
- Businesses with multiply properties where more than one has a rateable value over £2,899
How do I claim?
Applications can be completed and submitted on-line via the link at the top of the page.
How much could I get?
Any ratepayer who occupies a single non-domestic property within England, where the rateable value is less than 15,000 (£51,000 from 1 April 2017) will be entitled to the following relief:
|Rateable Value of main property||Period||Amount of Small Business Rate Relief|
|£6,000 or less||01.04.2010 to 30.09.2010||50%|
|01.10.2010 to 31.03.2017||100%|
|£6,001 to £12,000||01.04.2010 to 30.09.2010||50% to 0% on a scale of 1% for every £120.00 RV over £6,000|
|01.10.2010 to 31.03.2017||100% to 0% on a scale of 1% for every £60.00 RV over £6,000|
|£12,000 or less||01.04.2017||100 %|
|£12,001 to £15,000||01.04.2017||100% to 0% on a scale of 1% for every £30.00 RV over £12,000|
|£12,001 to £17.999||01.04.2012 to 31.03.2017||Small Business Rate Multiplier only|
|£15,000 to £50,999||01.04.2017||Small Business Rate Multiplier only|
Occupiers of a single business premises with a rateable value of £12,000 or less will receive 100% relief, with relief on a sliding scale from 100% to 0% for rateable values between £12,001 and £15,000.
Can my relief be backdated?
If you make a claim under the Small Business Rate Relief Scheme after 1 October 2017, the furthest your claim could be backdated normally is to 1 April 2012.
What changes do I need to report?
- If your rateable value changes
- If the business occupies additional properties
- If other mandatory relief is received
- If you move out of the property
How do I report changes?
Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org quoting your account number in the subject line