This page provides guidance on acceptable forms of evidence for benefit claims.
The evidence will be required for both yourself and your partner, if applicable:
Proof of Identity
Only original documents can be used as evidence for proof of identity. Please provide originals to us at one of our Help Points.
- Driving Licence
- Birth Certificate
- National Insurance Card
- Marriage Certificate
- Divorce Papers
- EU Identity Card
- Utility Bill (dated within 1 month of the date of claim)
Proof of Rent
For properties rented from a Private Landlord or Housing Association:
- Current Signed Tenancy Agreement
- Rent Book or proof of rent payments made
- Contact us for a Landlord Statement which must be completed and signed by your landlord
If you work
We need to see one of the following:
- 5 weekly payslips,
- 3 fortnightly payslips or
- 2 monthly payslips
If you cannot provide these, you can ask your employer to complete an Earnings Certificate.
If you are self-employed you will need to send in your most recent profit and loss accounts. Please also complete one of the following forms.
If you receive State Benefits
We will need to see:
- your award notice, showing what benefit you receive
- how much you receive
- dates of your entitlement
Bank Accounts and Savings
We will need to see evidence of all bank/building society accounts, savings, capital and investments.
This can be:
- two months’ consecutive statements - these need to be your most recent statements
- passbooks or certificates
Please ask your childcare provider to complete a childcare costs form.
For us to take these costs into account, you must be:
- working at least 16 hours per week, or receiving Statutory Sick Pay or Statutory Maternity Pay
- using a registered childcare provider
National Insurance Number
Proof of your National Insurance number must be provided on an official document. This includes items such as a wage-slip or letter from the Department for Work and Pensions.
If you are unable to send all the evidence needed to support your claim, please send the form to us with what you have available. Let us know you will be sending in further information later - this will stop your claim from being delayed.
Normally we allow up to one month to send in everything required.