Become a hackney taxi/private hire vehicle driver.
Please note: Before issuing an applicant with a Hackney Carriage or private hire vehicle drivers licence you must have held a full UK or EU drivers licence for at least one year.
Steps to becoming a taxi driver
- Apply to become a taxi driver
- Pass the relevant exams and checks
- Apply to become a hackney carriage or a private hire driver – or both
Taxi driver application pack
Download the pack or request it is sent to your address:
Please note that:
- New licences will not be issued without a medical certificate. Further medicals are required at age 45, 50, 55, 60, 65 years and then annually from the age of 66
- You will be required to take a criminal conviction enquiry with the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) at a cost of £115
- You will need to successfully pass a Driving Standard Agency (DSA) equivalent Taxi/Private Hire Driving assessment
- You will need to complete a spoken English Exam at a cost of £52 or prove that you have a pass in an English Language related subject at Grade C (GCSE) or above or have a certificate showing spoken language ability at CEFR level B2 or above
- You will need to provide two character referees
- First time applicants must pass a ‘taxi knowledge’ test at a cost of £30. Use the phone number above to book a test
You can combine the payment of these costs with your licence fee payment.
Taxi licensing fees
|Fee Type||1 Year||3 Year|
|Hackney Carriage Vehicle||£229|
|Transfer of Hackney Carriage licence to a new
Proprietor / change of vehicle
New Hackney Carriage Drivers Licence
|Renewal of Hackney Carriage Drivers Licence||£159|
Replacement copy of Licence / Badge / Plate
Change of address
Replacement vehicle windscreen wallet
|Fee Type||1 Year||3 Year||5 Year|
|New Private Hire Vehicle Operators Licence (31+ Vehicles)||£239||£804|
|Renewal of Private Hire Vehicle Operators Licence (31+ Vehicles)||£781|
|New Private Hire Vehicle Operators Licence (3 - 30 Vehicles)||£198||£599|
|Renewal of Private Hire Vehicle Operators Licence (3 - 30 Vehicles)||£576|
|New Private Hire Vehicle Operators Licence (0 - 2 Vehicles)||£157||£394|
|Renewal of Private Hire Vehicle Operators Licence (0 - 2 Vehicles)||£371|
|Upgrade of Private Hire Vehicle Operators Licence||Check with Licensing Officer|
|Transfer of Private Hire Vehicle Operators Licence to a new proprietor/address||£25|
|Private Hire Vehicle Licence||£194|
|Transfer of Private Hire Vehicle Licence to a new proprietor/other vehicle||£25|
|New Private Hire Drivers Licence||£86||£182|
|Renewal of Private Hire Drivers Licence||£159|
|Replacement copy of Licence/Badge/Plate||£6|
|Replacement vehicle windscreen wallet||£1|
|For each external plate||£25|
|Cancellation with less than 48 hours notice||£10|
|Retest if returned within 7 days or 300 miles||No charge|
|Retest if returned more than 7 days after failure||£42|
|New driver Application||£115|
|Application and written exam||£30|
|Application check (payment with application)||£5|
|Spoken English Test||£32+ £20 (administration charge)|
|Number Plate Bracket Kit||£8.50|
|Rigid Bridge Kit||£3.50|
Print version: Taxi licensing fees
Card payments can be accepted over the phone – Tel: 01444-477335
If you are paying by cheque – bring this in with your completed forms.
Please note: We cannot accept cash payments.
Renewal paperwork is sent out early to give you plenty of time to organise a medical. Please return your paperwork as soon as is possible.
You can also find application forms further down this page.
Please note: Licences will not be issued without a medical certificate and your licence will be terminated until a medical certificate is received.
We restrict the amount of hackney carriages that it licenses to 154.
Present number of licensed hackney Carriages: 154 – No further licences can be issued.
Taxi driving FAQs
If the vehicle is new and has less than 10000 miles recorded on the odometer
You will need to bring the vehicle into the council offices for the licensing officer to examine it.
If the vehicle has more than 10000 miles recorded on the odometer and/or is over one year old
The vehicle will need to undergo a council fitness test at one of our contracted testing stations and an MOT test.
Supreme Clutch Services
12 Bridge Road
Please send us the following documents:
- A completed Hackney Carriage or Private Hire vehicle application form made out in the licence holders name
- A copy of the vehicle insurance certificate – showing the correct use
- A copy of the vehicle registration document – V5
- A copy of the MOT certificate if the vehicle is over one year old
- A copy of the council fitness test certificate
- If paying by cheque then we will require a copy sent by fax or email
Please note: A there is a fee of £25
The Taxi Licensing office
If your documentation is correct then the licence transfer will be made. The licensing team will contact you with a time to have the plate fitted.
- Bring originals of all documents
- Make sure that the vehicle is fitted with the appropriate Vehicle Identification Products (VIP) fittings so that the plate an be properly attached
These can be obtained from the main reception at the Oaklands Haywards Heath council Offices.
- Backing platform to hold the plate: £6.00
- Number plate bracket: £8.50
- Rigid bridge kit: £3.50
Very important: You must inform us of your new address or loss of licence in writing within 7 days of moving.
Please complete our Change of address / replacement licence form.
These can be obtained from the main reception at the Oaklands Haywards Heath Council Offices.
Cost: £1.00 each