All scrap metal dealers need a licence. Trading without a licence is a criminal offence.
There are two types of licence specified in the Act:
This licence allows the licensee to transport scrap metal between registered sites from any local authority area.
You must have a scrap metal dealer license for each scrap metal site. And each site must have a site manager.
This allows the licensee to operate as a collector in the area of the issuing local authority.
It does not allow the collector to operate in any other local authority area.
A separate licence has to be obtained from each local authority the collector wishes to operate in.
Please note: A collector's licence does not authorise the you to operate a scrap metal site. A dealer can only hold one type of licence in any one local authority area.
They cannot hold both a site and mobile collector’s licence from the same council.
These licences last for three years.
Fees - All licence fees and registration charges
- All applicants must complete an application form
- The application form must be accompanied by the relevant fee
- All applicants must supply a Disclosure and Barring certificate (DBS). This certificate must be dated within three months of the application date
- Company directors, partners or secretaries must also supply DBS Certificates
- Applicants for site licences must provide a site plan
- Applicants for collector’s licences must provide a passport style photograph and endorsement statement
Before applying please read: