Scrap Metal Licences
All scrap metal dealers need a licence. Trading without a licence is a criminal offence.
There are two types of licence specified in the Act:
This licence allows the licensee to transport scrap metal between registered sites from any local authority area.
You must have a scrap metal dealer license for each scrap metal site. And each site must have a site manager.
This allows the licensee to operate as a collector in the area of the issuing local authority.
It does not allow the collector to operate in any other local authority area.
A separate licence has to be obtained from each local authority the collector wishes to operate in.
Please note: A collector's licence does not authorise the you to operate a scrap metal site. A dealer can only hold one type of licence in any one local authority area.
They cannot hold both a site and mobile collector’s licence from the same council.
These licences last for three years.
- All applicants must complete an application form
- The application form must be accompanied by the relevant fee
- All applicants must supply a Disclosure and Barring certificate (DBS). This certificate must be dated within three months of the application date
- Company directors, partners or secretaries must also supply DBS Certificates
- Applicants for site licences must provide a site plan
- Applicants for collector’s licences must provide a passport style photograph and endorsement statement
Before applying please read:
Apply for a scrap metal licence
Print out and complete the forms below. Cheques are payable to ‘Mid Sussex District Council’.
Will 'tacit consent' apply?
It is in the public interest that the authority must process your application before it can be granted.
More information: ‘Tacit consent’ means you can act as if your application has been granted if you do not receive your licence/permit within a certain time after we confirm we have received your application.
If you have not heard from us within 14 days of your application - please contact us using the information at the bottom of this page.
Make a complaint
If you wish to report a vehicle dismantler or scrap yard that you believe is operating without a licence you can do so on the Motor Vehicle Dismantlers Association website.