- Small Society Lottery organisers must submit a Small Society Lottery return form to the Licensing Team no later than three months after the day of the lottery draw
- The return must be signed by two members of the society aged 18 or over who are appointed in writing by the society for that purpose
- The return must be accompanied by a lottery authorisation form
- Returns can be submitted by post or by Email: email@example.com
The return will specify the lottery:
- Prize value
- Any rollover etc
- Total proceeds of the lottery
- Amounts deducted for expenses and prizes
- The amount applied to the purpose for which the society is conducted - not less than 20% of the proceeds
- Any expenses not deducted from the proceeds
Returns will be retained by the Local Authority for a minimum period of three years and may be inspected by the Gambling Commission within that time - or by the public for up to 18 months after the draw.
Tickets can be physical or virtual such as an e-mail or text message.
All tickets must state the:
- Name of the promoting society
- Price of the ticket - which must be the same for all tickets
- Name and address of the promoter for the society - or the external lottery manager if there is one
- Date of the draw - or information which enables the date to be determined
Please note: The requirement to provide this information can be satisfied by getting the participant to keep it electronically or to print it.
- Can only be sold by persons over the age of 16 years to persons over the age of 16 years
- Must all cost the same
Please note: Tickets may not be sold in a street - but may be sold from a kiosk, in a shop or by door-to-door calling. The society must take payment for the ticket fee before entry to the draw is allowed.
- Prizes can be either cash or non-monetary
- Prizes - combined with any expenses - must not exceed 80% o the total proceeds of the draw
- Donated prizes are not be counted towards this 80% limit but should still be declared on the return following the draw
- In accordance with section 175 of the Licensing Act 2003 minor raffles and tombolas involving prizes of alcohol are not licensable under the 2003 Act if certain conditions are fulfilled