Mid Sussex District Council provides equipment to enable local volunteers to clear ice and snow from pavements.
Contact your local Town of Parish Council if you would like to volunteer to help out during severe weather, or to replenish empty salt bins.
Please note: West Sussex County Council are responsible for maintaining public highways during times of severe weather.
Please visit the West Sussex Winter Service page for more information.
Tips for snow clearance:
- Clear snow when it’s fresh as it’s easier to move
- Do not use hot water as it can re-freeze making conditions more dangerous
- Table salt or dishwasher salt can be used to melt snow and ice
- Apply salt sparingly – a tablespoonful can treat a square metre of ice
- Sand, grit or ash can be used to provide more grip but it will also leave a mess when the snow melts
Support your neighbours
Severe weather conditions can be life threatening to those who are less likely to look out for themselves. If you think some of your neighbours may struggle in the cold weather – call in on them to make sure they have enough food and warmth.