We are responsible for about 1,350 food premises.

How can I complain about food safety?

Food safety information

Food sold for human consumption must be:

  • Safe to eat
  • Free from contamination
  • Prepared in a clean and hygienic manner

Our environmental health and food safety officers:

  • Carry out food hygiene inspections
  • Advise food businesses on how to comply with the law
  • Investigate complaints about food that is a danger to health
  • Investigate hygiene complaints from consumers
  • Investigate allegations of food poisoning
  • Carry out bacteriological sampling of food on sale
  • Close food premises that pose a risk for health
  • Provide free information, advice and literature

Food poisoning and infectious diseases

Food Safety complaint / enquiry form 

When people suffer sickness and diarrhoea they may be suffering from food poisoning. These symptoms can also result from viral infections and may not be food related.

Please fill out our online Food safety complaint/enquiry form if you think you've had food poisoning after eating food from a business.

Please note: You should always contact your doctor for medical advice.

Doctors are required to notify Public Health England (PHE) about diseases carried in food such as:

  • Salmonella
  • Campylobacter
  • E. Coli

Food hygiene ratings

Make informed decisions about where to eat and purchase food:

Search for food hygiene ratings in Mid Sussex


Your food business will be given a rating based on a visit to your premises and an assessment carried out by our inspectors.

To appeal or request a revisit please use the forms below:

More information for food businesses:

Contact us

Online Food Enquiry Form

Food Safety Team
Tel: 01444-477433
Email: foodsafety@midsussex.gov.uk

Last updated: 10 April 2019