Car sharing tips and advice Sharing your car

The Zap Map has some good information on electric cars and also a map showing the location of electric charging points in Mid Sussex.

There are local cycle routes and cycling information on the West Sussex County Council website


Waterwise provides tips and resources for saving water


Tips to lessen your impact on the environment can be found at

Advice and help

Depending on your eligibility - support may be available for a range of energy efficiency measures including heating and insulation. 

Energy saving advice service

Tel: 0300-123-1234

Rented accommodation help and advice

We can help if you:

  • Do not have the money to heat your rented accommodation
  • Are not getting any help from your landlord

We will try and sort things out with your landlord and - if needed - will come and take a look at your home.

Housing Standards Team

Age UK

Support and advice on a range of topics for people aged 50 and over.

Tel: 0800-169-6565

Energy saving

Winter Fuel Payment

If you were born on or before 5 August 1953 you could get between £100 and £300 to help you pay your heating bills. This is known as a ‘Winter Fuel Payment’.

Claim Winter Fuel Payment

Make a claim for winter fuel payment online

You usually get a Winter Fuel Payment automatically if you receive the State Pension or another social security benefit.

You will not be eligible for the Winter Fuel Payment if you are getting:

  • Housing Benefit
  • Council Tax Reduction
  • Child Benefit
  • Universal Credit

More information:

Tel: 08459-151515

Cold Weather Payment

You may get cold weather payments if you’re receiving:

  • Pension Credit
  • Income Support
  • Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
  • Universal Credit

Please note: You will only get a payment if the average temperature in your area is recorded as - or is forecast to be - zero degrees Celsius or below for seven consecutive days.

More information:

Emergency heater scheme

Up to two oil-filled radiators per household. £1 each.

Request an application from

Warm home discount

This is a yearly payment given to you from from some energy suppliers for elderly low income households. It is paid automatically if you get pension credit.

Contact your energy supplier for more information.

Please note: If you have a prepayment meter you can still get the discount.

Sussex Tariff

You can now buy your gas and electricity from Your Energy Sussex a new local energy supplier backed by councils in Sussex.

Tel:  0800-952-0001
Online: Your Energy Sussex

Priority services register

This is a service for vulnerable customers. Contact your energy supplier to register.

Independence at home - grants

Grants for people with a disability or long term illness who are in financial need. The average grant is £300 but it can be as much as £600.

The grants can be for:

  • Building work
  • Home repairs
  • Heating grants

 More information:

Tel: 0208-427-7929

Health Through Warmth

Part and full funding to help vulnerable people with long term illnesses to install heating and insulation.

More information:

Tel: 0845 070 2809

Energy supplier trust funds for those in more than £200 debt

Please contact for:

  • British Gas
  • EDF
  • Npower

For all other energy suppliers - please check their websites.

Further assistance payments

Some energy suppliers have trust funds used to pay for white goods and other essential household items.

More information:

Or check your energy supplier website

LEAP - Home Energy Visits

LEAP is able to offer (if available):

  • A free Home Energy Visit
  • A free energy switching service
  • Installation of free, simple, energy saving measures
  • A free telephone advice service to help with benefits, debt and other money issues
  • Referrals to further energy efficiency improvements

Apply for LEAP

Frequently asked questions

Can I get a grant to improve my heating system and get insulation?

Depending on your circumstances you may be eligible for support under the Energy Company Obligation.

More information:

Energy saving advice service
Energy Company Obligation
Tel: 0300-123-1234

A company says the Council has sent them to check my insulation - can I trust them?


If someone calls at your door offering to check your insulation claiming that they are from the Council please report them to the police:

Tel:  101

Is free insulation is available?

No. Not at the moment.

I am having problems with a company - what can I do?

Please contact Citizens Advice:

Tel: 08454-040-506

I'm having problems with my gas or electricity provider what can I do?

Please contact Citizens Advice:

Tel: 08454-040-506

I have a question about energy efficiency who should I contact?

Energy Saving Trust
Tel:  020-7222-0101

Mid Sussex Sustainability Officer
Tel: 01444-477370

Does the Council provide grants for energy efficiency measures?

No. We do not currently have any funding to offer grants.

I have a problem with my cavity wall insulation - what can I do?

First check your installer. If they can't help please contact the Cavity Insulation Guarantee Agency website.

What is an Oil Club?

An oil club is a group of people who combine their orders together to buy domestic heating oil in order to negotiate a cheaper price.

Groups can vary in size, but typically will need over 20 members to achieve financial savings.

Some groups have hundreds of people.

More information: The Oil Club

Last updated: 07 January 2020