Mid Sussex is a safe place to live and work. However crime and anti-social behaviour does happen.

How do I report a crime?

If the crime is in progress - phone the Police straightaway:

Tel: 999

If the matter is not urgent you can report the incident to Sussex Police:

Tel: 101
Online: Report a crime online

Report anti-social behaviour

Report anti-social behaviour

The Crime and Disorder Act 1998 defines anti-social behaviour as acting in a manner that has "caused or was likely to cause harassment, alarm or distress to one or more persons not of the same household" as the perpetrator.

Anti-social driving

Operation Crackdown has been created to make our roads safer and our neighbourhoods a better place to live.

Report anti-social driving

Operation Crackdown
Tel: 01243-642222
Online:  Report anti-social driving

What is anti-social driving?

It can be:

  • Speeding
  • Thoughtless driving
  • Under age driving
  • Drink driving
  • Drug driving
  • Tailgating
  • Mobile phone use while driving
  • Vehicle in unsafe condition
  • Any other issues that could be considered dangerous or anti-social
How do I deal with anti-social driving?
  • Pull over safely to the side of the road
  • Write down vehicle details - vehicle make / model / colour / number plate
  • Note location using house numbers / shop names / road names to pinpoint where incident occurred
  • Write a brief description of what you saw while it is still fresh in your mind
  • Report it to Operation Crackdown

Domestic abuse

Please see our domestic abuse page

Enforcement Powers

Fixed Penalty Notices

Fixed Penalty Notices (FPN/s) have been created under the Clean Neighbourhood and Environment Act 2005 and the Anti-Social Behaviour, Crime and Policing Act 2014. Several officers will be authorised to issue a FPN on the spot.

If an officer witnesses an offence, they can approach the person, show their ID and explain their powers. The officer will explain the offence and can issue a Fixed Penalty Notice ticket. In any case, FPNs can also be sent in the post, as the person can be identified using the license plate of the vehicle. 

Fixed Penalty Notices cover:

Littering (including fly-tipping)

Littering is an offence and we like to keep Mid Sussex as clean as possible.

Littering comes in many forms including:

  • Cigarette butts
  • Chewing gum
  • Leaving litter on the street
  • Fly-tipping or commercial retailer’s waste not being disposed of properly
Illegally transporting waste

To transport waste you need to be registered with the Environment Agency if you do any of the below as part of your business:

  • transport waste
  • buy, sell or dispose of waste
  • arrange for someone else to buy, sell or dispose of waste

Register for a waste carriers licence

If you are moving waste for someone else, you need to get a Duty of Care note (Waste Transfer Note)

Graffiti and fly-posting

Graffiti and fly-posting

Although some graffiti can look nice unfortunately most graffiti is not and it is an offence if done without the owner’s permission. It is the duty of the Town and Parish Councils to remove unwanted graffiti, you can report graffiti through our online form.

Not picking up after your dog

In order to reduce the amount of dog fouling in Mid Sussex, owners are required to clean up their dogs' mess. This order applies to all District Council owned or managed recreational and other public land, car parks and all highway areas within a 40mph speed restriction. Find out more on our Park Rangers page.

Dog exclusions from certain areas (where they are forbidden)

To prevent people or the dogs themselves being injured as a result of sharing activity space, dogs are excluded from all fenced children's play areas and fenced recreational areas such as tennis courts, bowling greens, and multi activity areas owned by Mid Sussex District Council.

Dogs on a lead when requested

In order to stop a loose dog disrupting sporting or community events or disturbing local wildlife, dogs must be placed on a lead if requested to do so by a Council officer.

This order applies to land on which formal sports and community events regularly take place, and all designated conservation sites and local nature reserves.

Maximum number of dogs

The number of dogs one person can take onto Council nature reserves or selected large parks is restricted to six. 

Fixed Penalty Amounts

If you pay a Fixed Penalty within ten (10) days, the amount will be reduced. If you fail to pay, the Council will take you to court, which could result in a fine.

Offences and penalties


Paid within 10 days

Paid within 14 days

Maximum penalty conviction




£ 1,000 or up to £50,000

Not clearing litter away from the street




Not being able to show the right papers for transporting waste



£5,000 (or, on indictment, an unlimited fine)

Not having the authority to transport waste








Fly Posting




Not clearing away dog faeces




Dogs in areas where forbidden




Dogs not on a lead when requested




Maximum number of dogs in designated areas




Nuisance Parking




Breach of Community Protection Notice



£2,500 for an individual; or up to £20,000 for businesses.


Community Protection Notices

Community Protection Notices (CPN/s) were created under the Anti-social Behaviour, Crime and Policing Act 2014. This allows Mid Sussex District Council to issue a warning letter asking for an anti-social behaviour to desist and if this behaviour is not stopped to issue a Community Protection Notice.

  • A notice will be considered if the behaviour is having a detrimental effect on the quality of life of those in the locality;
  • Is persistent or continuing in nature; and
  • Is unreasonable.

The decision whether behaviour is considered as any of the above will be taken on a case by case basis.

If the Community Protection Notice is breached, Mid Sussex District Council can issue a Fixed Penalty Notice or take court action. 

Public Spaces Protection Order

Public Space Protection Orders (PSPO/s) were created under the Anti-Social Behaviour, Crime and Policing Act 2014 and can be used to stop a person or a group of people committing anti-social behaviour in a public place, for example in a park. 

Anti-Social Behaviour Offences need to:

  • have had, or are likely to have, a detrimental effect on the quality of life of those in the locality;
  • is, or is likely to be, persistent or continuing in nature;
  • is, or is likely to be, unreasonable; and
  • justifies the restrictions imposed. 

Mid Sussex District Council will consider implementing an order on a case by case basis. If an individual breaches an implemented Public Spaces Protection Order they can be issued a Fixed Penalty Notice or be taken to court.

The Public Spaces Protection Orders that Mid Sussex District Council have initially instigated are: Fouling of land by dogs; Dog exclusion; Dogs on lead when requested; Maximum number of dogs. 

West Sussex Mediation Service

The West Sussex mediation service can used for:

  • Disputes between neighbours or members of the same household
  • Driveway ownership/access disputes
  • Property boundary disputes

Tel: 01403-258900
Email: info@wsms.org.uk

Community Trigger

The Community Trigger is a process that allows members of the community to ask the Mid Sussex Community Safety Partnership to review their responses to complaints about anti-social behaviour.

The Trigger is designed to make sure we work together to try and resolve any complaints about anti-social behaviour.

We will do this by:

  • Talking about the problem
  • Sharing information
  • Using our resources to try and reach an agreeable outcome

The Trigger should be used if you believe your complaint has not been properly looked at - or no action has been taken by us.

Please note: The Trigger cannot be used to report general acts of crime, including hate crime.

The Trigger does not replace the complaints procedures of individual organisations - or your opportunity to complain to the Local Government Ombudsman or Independent Police Complaints Commission.

Community Trigger Factsheet

When can I trigger?

You can make a community trigger request if you have complained about three separate incidents in the last six months to:

The Council
The Police
Or a registered housing provider/social landlord


You believe you've been ignored

How do I trigger?

Online Community Trigger Request Form


Contact us

Report anti-social behaviour

Please call our switchboard to be directed to the correct team

Tel: 01444-458166

Last updated: 31 December 2018