Support is available in Mid Sussex through the West Sussex Community Support Helpline 033 022 27980 whose lines are open 8 am to 8 pm 7 days per week.

West Sussex County Council Community Hub contact number, 0330 222 7980 can also be used for residents to cancel their unwanted food parcels.

Further information on voluntary organisations can be found under the Community/Voluntary Sector Support tab.

Community / Voluntary Sector Support

If you would like to register your interest to volunteer support, please complete the form on the page link where you will see at the bottom of the page there is a tab saying “Contact WSCC” and underneath a link to COVID-19 volunteering offer form.  Thank you to those who have already volunteered.

Citizens Advice
Age UK West Sussex
Age UK East Grinstead & District
Carers Support West Sussex
Foodbank East Grinstead
Foodbank Haywards Heath
Burgess Hill Community Foodbank
Mid Sussex Voluntary Action  (support for community groups)
Sussex Oakleaf

Advice from the Government and NHS

The Government and NHS have updated the advice on Coronavirus (COVID-19). If you have a new continuous cough OR high temperature (37.8 degrees or higher) you should stay at home for 7 days. The full guidance is available here:

Parking NHS & Social Care Workers  - Coronavirus (Covid-19)

The latest information on Mid Sussex District Council’s services can be found below

Council offices and reception areas

Our Reception is now closed, unless you need emergency support. Please use our website at to access all other services.

We have worked hard to ensure that our Oaklands Campus is a Covid Secure workplace. With the following link:

Waste and recycling services

The following services are currently operating as normal:

  • Garden Waste Collections
  • Rubbish Collections
  • Recycling Collections
  • Clinical Waste Collections
  • Bulky Waste Collections
The following services are suspended until further notice:
  • Mobile Waste Site Collections

For households using communal rubbish bins please follow Government guidance on cleaning in non-healthcare settings*

If you have a confirmed (positive test) case of Covid-19 you will need to dispose of your waste separately using a special clinical waste collection. Guidance will be provided by your local healthcare provider.

We bin collectors because

Information for businesses

New guidance for businesses on COVID-19 local outbreak management:

Public Health England have launched a campaign to that provides advice to businesses on how to identify and respond to a local coronavirus outbreak. The campaign seeks to help business operators:

    • Identify an outbreak of COVID-19 (one or more confirmed case depending on the business or organisation)
    • Report the outbreak to local health protection team
    • Work with local health protection team to respond

As part of the campaign, PHE have produced a series of different action cards for different business types.

Business Support

As you look to reopen from 15th June we are here to support you, download all you need below.

MSDC has produced a number of posters and assets that you may wish to use to help you open safely

These come in three parts:

  1. Window posters for shops
  2. Social media assets that you can use on your own social media channels if you wish.
  3. Directional and safety signs that you can use inside or outside of your buildings

The Government has made a full range of business support measures available to UK businesses and employees. Follow the links below for information on financial support packages for businesses, advice on how to operate your business, support for your employees, for example workers' wage costs and information on changes to planning and regulations.

To find out more about what support is available to your business,  please visit the Gov website to use the business support finder. Find out more here.

Coronavirus Business Interruption Loan Scheme

UK-wide. This scheme will help businesses affected by coronavirus to access bank lending and overdrafts if they need to. For loans up to £5 million, the Government is providing a guarantee of 80% for each loan.

Find out more

Business Rates Holiday for Retail, Hospitality and Leisure

England only. Businesses in the retail, hospitality and leisure sectors in England will not have to pay business rates for the 2020-21 tax year.

Find out more

Cash Grant for Retail, Hospitality and Leisure

England only. If your business is in the retail, hospitality or leisure sector, you will receive a cash grant of up to £25,000 per property.

Find out more

This scheme will be ending on the 28th August 2020

Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme

UK-wide. Under the coronavirus Job Retention Scheme, all UK employers with a PAYE scheme will be able to access support to continue paying part of their employees’ salary for those that would otherwise have been laid off during this crisis.

The Coronavirus Job Retention scheme is now open for claims. Find out more information on how to claim here.

The Chancellor has announced that The Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme will remain open until the end of October, and will continue to apply across all regions and sectors in the UK economy. Furloughed workers across the UK will continue to receive 80% of their current salary, up to £2,500.

Find out more information here

Small Business Grant Funding

England only. The Government is providing additional funding for Local Authorities to support small businesses that already pay little or no business rates because of small business rate relief (SBRR), rural rate relief (RRR) and tapered relief.

Find out more

Statutory Sick Pay Rebate

UK-wide. The Government will bring forward legislation to allow small and medium-sized businesses to reclaim Statutory Sick Pay (SSP) paid for staff sickness absence due to coronavirus.

Find out more

Time to Pay

UK-wide. All businesses and self-employed people in financial distress, and with outstanding tax liabilities, may be eligible to receive support with their tax affairs through HMRC’s Time To Pay service.

Find out more

Covid-19 Corporate Financing Facility

UK-wide. The new Covid-19 Corporate Financing Facility (CCFF) means that the Bank of England will buy short-term debt from larger companies.

Find out more

Business Rates Holiday for Nurseries

England only. Nurseries in England do not have to pay business rates for the 2020-21 tax year.

Find out more

VAT Deferral

UK-Wide. We will support businesses by deferring Valued Added Tax (VAT) payments for 3 months.

Find out more

Income Tax Deferral for the Self-Employed

UK-wide. If you are self-employed, Income Tax payments due in July 2020 under the Self-Assessment system will be deferred to January 2021.

Find out more

Impact of Covid-19 on small businesses

The Local Enterprise Partnership (Coast to Capital) have set up an on-line portal through which businesses can record details of any impacts arising from Covid-19. This will be used to compile a weekly report to Government to inform the work they are doing to mitigate the impacts of the virus.

Find out more.

Tax helpline to support businesses affected by coronavirus

HMRC has a set up a phone helpline to support businesses and self-employed people concerned about not being able to pay their tax due to coronavirus (COVID-19).

Find out more.

Self-employment Income Support Scheme

The Self-employment Income Support Scheme (SEISS) will support self-employed individuals (including members of partnerships) whose income has been negatively impacted by COVID-19. The scheme will provide a grant to self-employed individuals or partnerships, worth 80% of their profits up to a cap of £2,500 per month.

Find out more.

Coast to Capital – "Backing Business" Grants

The Local Enterprise Partnership (LEP) Coast to Capital have announced a new grant scheme to help small businesses in addition to those being offered by Government. This scheme will provide grants between £5,000-£25,000 to fund specific measures to help businesses  adapt, evolve and innovate to the various economic impacts brought about by Covid-19. To be eligible for the scheme, businesses must meet the following criteria:

  • You must be registered in either in West Sussex, Brighton & Hove, or East Surrey (Epsom and Ewell, Mole Valley, Reigate and Banstead, Tandridge)
  • Your business must employ 5-50 full-time equivalent staff
  • Your business must have been trading for over 2 years and have an annual turnover of under £10m
  • Your business must use the grant to implement measures to help you adapt, evolve and innovate

More information on the scheme can be found here.

Due to an overwhelming response, Coast to Capital are currently not accepting new applications for the “Backing Business” grant scheme. Businesses are still welcome to provide information on how they meet eligible criteria and will be added to a waiting list for the scheme.

Coast to Capital – Further Business Support

The Local Enterprise Partnership (LEP) Coast to Capital have a range of services available to support businesses during Covid-19. These include:

  • Coast to Capital Growth Hub: Businesses can access support through the Coast to Capital Growth Hub which provides guidance, funding and specialist advice from a network of Growth Champions. Visit their dedicated website here.
  • ‘Economy Watch’:  Coast to Capital are reporting weekly to Government and have launched a regular blog from their Chief Executive titled ‘Economy Watch’. The blog shares stories from across the region. If you’re a business who has been impacted by Covid-19 and would like to share your story, please contact:
  • SME Emergency Response Clinics – Coast to Capital are offering FREE one hour bookable sessions with its Growth Hub team to support businesses impacted by Covid-19. Sessions are confidential and can be offered either as a video or audio call. Details on the types of sessions available, including dates and how to book can be found here.

Innovate UK Grants

A new £1.25 billion coronavirus package has been announced to drive innovation and development by UK businesses during the pandemic. The package includes a new £500 million loan scheme for high-growth firms, called the “Future Fund”, and a combined grant and loan package of £750 million for small and medium sized businesses focusing on research and development.

Find out more here.

Coronavirus Business Support Hub – GOV.UK

A new Coronavirus Business Support Hub is now available at

The hub brings together key information for businesses including on funding and support, business closures, your responsibilities as an employer and managing your business during coronavirus.

The hub also includes information for self-employed people and sole traders.

Historic England – Covid-19 Emergency Response Fund

Historic England has announced a new scheme offering grants to third sector, voluntary groups, heritage organisations and self-employed contractors impacted by Covid-19. Grants of up to £25,000 are available to address financial difficulties arising from the Coronavirus. In addition to this, further grants of up to £50,000 are also available for projects and activities that reduce risks to heritage by providing information, resources and skills.

Find out more here.

Measures to protect UK high streets from aggressive rent collection and closure

High street shops and other companies under strain will be protected from aggressive rent collection and asked to pay what they can during the coronavirus pandemic.

To stop these unfair practices, the government will temporarily ban the use of statutory demands and winding up orders where a company cannot pay their bills due to coronavirus, to ensure they do not fall into deeper financial strain.

Find out more

Bounce Back Loans Scheme – 100% Government backed loans

The Bounce Back Loans Scheme allows businesses to borrow between £2,000 and £50,000 and access the cash within days. Loans will be interest free for the first 12 months and no repayments are due during this time. Businesses can apply for this loan online from Monday 4 May.

Find out more here.

Online Learning Platform – The Skills Toolkit

A new online learning platform has been launched to help boost the nation’s skills while people are staying at home.

Free courses are available through The Skills Toolkit. The new platform gives people access to free, high-quality digital and numeracy courses to help build up their skills, progress in work and boost their job prospects.

Courses on offer cover a range of levels, from everyday maths and tools for using email and social media more effectively at work to more advanced training. All courses are online and flexible, so people can work through them at their own pace.

Find out more information here.

Finance Experts, Rangewell

Guidance for the owners and operators of urban centres and green spaces to help social distancing.

Government Link

Applications for Self-Employment Income Support Scheme open early

  • Self-Employment Income Support Scheme opens for applications today
  • those eligible will receive government grant worth up to £7,500
  • money expected to be in bank accounts by 25 May

Find out more information here.

University of Brighton's CENTRIM Webinars

A new series of free webinars are being hosted by the University of Brighton’s CENTRIM (Centre for Change, Entrepreneurship and Innovation Management). These webinars are being hosted in partnership with Coast to Capital and Business East Sussex, and will be focused on business resilience and recovery.

Topics include digital transformation, the digital device landscape, and crisis innovation.

Find out more information here.

Apply for the Coronavirus Future Fund:

  • Applications open Wednesday 20th May
  • Loans of between £125,000 to £5 million are available, subject to criteria.

Further information can be found here.

Working safely during coronavirus (COVID-19) business webinars: find out how to make your workplace COVID-secure

  • Join a free webinar, hosted by the Department of Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy, to find out more about how to make your workplace COVID-secure.
  • The webinars cover a range of different workplace settings that are allowed to be open.

Further information can be found here.

Thousands of business advisers to offer free services to small firms

Thousands of business advisers to offer free services to small firms

Thousands of expert professional and business services advisers have signed up to offer free online advice to help small businesses bounce back from coronavirus (COVID-19).


I'm not a business, how are you supporting me? The Business Support measures outlined on these pages are designed to protect people’s jobs – but there are other measures in place to […]

Find out more

If you are affected by Covid-19 and have further questions or you are having difficulty paying your business rates, please contact us via email at  We will try and get back to you as soon as possible.

You can also find additional business rates information at  

Small Business Grant Funding

To apply for grants of £10,000 and £25,000 head to and enter your contact details.

Registration is free using the link above. Avoid copycat websites as they will try and charge you for this service.

This scheme will be ending on the 28th August 2020.

Advice for homeless applicants

If you or someone you know is homeless, at risk of homelessness, in temporary accommodation or is sleeping rough, please complete our Housing Advice contact form for housing advice and assistance.

Advice on claiming benefits support

Benefit Calculator

The Department of Work and Pensions has published advice on it's Understanding Universal Credit website for anyone who needs to claim the benefit.

Understanding Universal Credit

Safety advice to residents

COVID 19 – Community Safety advice to residents

Whilst most people are supporting one another, there is still a small minority who will look to criminally exploit situations like this. If you are self-isolating and require assistance with shopping, cleaning or care services, please use trusted sources – friends, family members or neighbours or a trusted local charity. If you have no support network and are not sure who can help, please contact the West Sussex Community Support Helpline on 03302 227980.

It is ok to reject, refuse or ignore any requests. If the person is genuine, they will understand.

Always be aware of people and companies who may try to sell items at an increased price in order to profit from Coronavirus

Doorstep offers

Don’t put up any signs on the front of your property which indicates you are vulnerable or in self isolation.

Always ask for ID and be suspicious of requests for money up front. If someone attempts to pressure you into accepting a service, they are unlikely to be genuine.

Don’t provide your banking details to anyone at the door.

Phishing emails

There have been some scammers that are offering virus testing kids or treatments, vaccines or cures for Coronavirus. Testing is only offered by the NHS and there is currently no vaccine for Coronavirus. Please follow public health advice on what to do if you have symptoms or call NHS 111.

Telephone scammers

With more people self-isolating or working at home, it is possible that you might receive more scam phone calls than usual.

Don’t reveal personal details or provide financial information (such as your bank account details or your PIN) over the phone, even if the caller claims to be from your bank.

Hang up. If you feel harassed or intimidated, or if the caller talks over you without giving you a chance to speak, end the call. It may feel rude to hang up on someone, but you have the right not to be pressurised into anything.

Don’t be rushed. Scammers will try to rush you into providing your personal details. They may say they have time-limited offer or claim your bank account is at risk if you don’t give them the information they need right away.

Online shopping fraud

Only purchase goods from legitimate retailers. If you’re purchasing goods and services from a company you don’t know, carry out some research first. Look up reviews of the company and ask trusted friends and family members of they know of the company. If in doubt, don’t use them.

Be wary of unsolicited emails and texts offering questionably good deals  - if it looks too good to be true, it probably is! Never respond to messages that ask for your personal and financial details.

Avoid paying for goods and services by bank transfer as that offers you little protection of you become a victim of fraud. Instead, use a credit card or payment service such as PayPal if possible.

Borrowing money

Only borrow from reputable sources and check to see if your area operates a credit union. Be wary of loan sharks. Key signs to spot include offering a loan without supporting paperwork, extortionate interest rates, refusal to provide details of the loan, threatening behaviour.

Domestic Abuse

Guidance for anyone who is experiencing or knows someone who is experiencing domestic abuse.

Keeping children safe online.

Useful numbers:
Advice on scams: Citizen’s advice Consumer Helpline: 0808 223 1133
Reporting a scam: Action Fraud: 0300 123 2040
Loan Shark Helpline: 0300 555 2222
Contact your bank if you think you have been scammed
Sussex Police: 101 or 999 if an emergency
Mid Sussex District Council: 01444 458166

Parking & Travel


From 8th June 2020, the charges in the car parks will apply.

Please note enforcement of parking restrictions will continue in accordance with the Traffic Management Act.
On-street parking enforcement will continue albeit with a strict focus on safety and ensuring the free movement of traffic, especially for the emergency services, carers and deliveries. People are strongly advised not to park on yellow lines, loading bays and clearways. Civil Parking Enforcement officers have a key highway safety role in this - their duty is to enforce yellow lines/loading bays etc so that particular vehicles can still travel freely on the network and not have to contend with dangerously parked vehicles.
Those parking in permit bays should make arrangements as indicated on the parking permits page, as vehicles without permits will be subject to enforcement.

NHS & Social Care Workers  - Coronavirus (Covid-19)


Can I use the park?

The latest advice from the Government is that the risk of infection outside is significantly lower than inside, so people are now permitted to spend more time outside in our local parks and open spaces. However, social distancing is as important as ever in order to control the spread of coronavirus and a 2m distance is recommended where possible but a minimum of 1m+ should be followed at all times.

In line with Government guidance from 4 July onwards:

  • You can meet in groups of up to six people who you do not live with (from multiple households)
  • You can meet in a group made up of two households (your support bubble counts as one household), even if this is more than six people

Details of our park facilities can be found here.

Which play areas and outdoor gyms are currently open?

The following play areas and outdoor gyms are currently open. These facilities will continue to receive a weekly cleanse


Albourne Recreation Ground



Ansty Recreation Ground


Ashurst Wood

Ashurstwood Recreation Ground


John Pears Recreation Ground



Balcombe Recreation Ground + Outdoor Gym



Bolney Recreation Ground (Batchelors Field)


Burgess Hill

Burners Close Play Area


Capenors Play Area


Fairfield Recreation Ground + Outdoor Gym


Parklands Copse Junior Play Area


Primrose Close Play Area


Queens Crescent Play Area


St Johns Park


Stonefield Way Play Area


Woodpecker Crescent Junior Play Area


Worlds End (Janes Lane) + Outdoor Gym


Wyvern Way Pondside Play Area



Clayton Green Recreation Ground



Cuckfield Recreation Ground


East Grinstead

Imberhorne Lane


East Court Recreation Ground Woodland Play Area


Hollands Way Play Area + Outdoor Gym


Kings Centre + Outdoor Gym


Lingfield Road Recreation Ground


Mount Noddy Recreation Ground


Orchard Way Play Area


Richmond Way Play Area


Sunnyside Recreation Ground


The Glades Play Area



Coos Lane



London Road Recreation Ground + Gym Equipment


Parklands Copse Junior Play Area


Haywards Heath

Beech Hurst Gardens


Barn Cottage Play Area + Outdoor Gym + Activity Trail


Clair Park


Dolphin Leisure Centre Play Area


Forest Fields Play Area


Kingfisher Toddler Play Area


Priory Way Play Area


Sandy Vale PLay Area


Sky Lark (Kingfisher Junior Play Area)


Victoria Park


Woods End (Bolnore Wood) Play Area



Court Bushes Recreation Ground


Fairfield Recreation Ground



Hickmans Lane Recreation Ground + Outdoor Gym


Lindfield Common


Pease Pottage

Pease Pottage Playground



Poynings Recreation Ground





Sayers Common

Berrylands Farm Recreation Ground Play Area


Scaynes Hill

Scaynes Hill Recreation Ground





Turners HIll

Turners Hill Recreation Ground



Twineham Recreation Ground



Warninglid Recreation Ground


When will the remaining playgrounds reopen?

We have 123 play areas in Mid Sussex, more than double the amount in neighbouring areas, and it would be extremely expensive to reopen them all.

The cleaning and safety measures required by the Government to ensure playgrounds can reopen safely have come at a significant cost to the taxpayer. It would cost more than £220,000 per year to regularly clean the equipment in every playground and make each area safe.

With this in mind, we have taken the difficult decision to leave the remaining playgrounds closed until Government guidance is relaxed. We have opened all our most popular playground sites and collectively they offer a wide range of play options for children of all ages.

Are the Splash Pad and paddling pool open?

Both the Splash Pad at Victoria Park and the paddling pool at Cuckfield Recreation Ground are now closed for the autumn and winter seasons.

The Government has announced that Councils can reopen outdoor water play facilities from Saturday 11 July.

The Council wishes to open the outdoor water play facilities at Victoria Park and Cuckfield Recreation Ground safely and they require thorough inspection before this can take place

Has the equipment been checked prior to re-opening to ensure it is safe to use?

Play areas are inspected on a regular basis by our contractors. All sites will have been visited and inspected with all equipment sanitised prior to reopening. In order to maintain social distancing some items of play equipment may be clearly marked as being unavailable for use. Please do not remove any tape or safety markings and ensure any children in your care do not use such equipment.

Is there a limit on the maximum number of users able to use a play area or outdoor gym area at any one time?

Yes. Maximum capacity for our reopened play areas will be marked on signage installed at the entrance and exit points.

Is there a limit on the length of time I can use the play area or outdoor gym for?

There isn’t a maximum length of time you should stay; but please be mindful that other children will want to use the equipment and try not to stay too long if other children are waiting to play.

If the play area / outdoor gym is busy will there be a queue or waiting area in place?

There will be no formal queuing or waiting area. We will be regularly monitoring the use of these sites and should it become necessary to implement one, relevant action will be taken in order to ensure the safety of users.

Is there a limit to the number of children allowed on play equipment at any one time?

Yes. We advise there should be no more than one child using an item of play equipment at any one time unless the children are from the same household and living together.

Is there a limit on the number of parents/carers or guardians supervising those in their care whilst using an item of play equipment?

Yes. In line with Government guidance we request those using the play area to only have one family member/carer accompanying a child.

What should I do if the play area is busy or at capacity?

If you will be unable to safely maintain social distancing or the play area is at capacity you should not enter the play area or use any equipment. Please come back again when there are fewer people using the facilities.

The play area is too full and it is not being used safely or responsibly. Should I report this?

If you find the play area and its facilities are not being used responsibly/safely or you notice some broken equipment you can report your concerns by email to

Which outdoor leisure facilities are open for use?

In line with Government advice the following facilities are open and available for use subject to social distancing guidelines:

  • Outdoor Tennis Courts
  • Skate Parks
  • Multi Use Games Areas (MUGA’s)

You can book tennis courts online using our website Visit for the latest guidance for players, coaches and venues prior to booking.

The artificial outdoor bowls mat and petanque at Beech Hurst Gardens in Haywards Heath are closed at the current time due to re-surfacing works.

Can I hold an event in a park?

Following the easement of lockdown measures large scale outdoor events can now be considered and the Council can permit these at our discretion. This requires the Council to establish a new way of processing applications for large scale outdoor events to meet its obligations under existing legislation and new Government guidance to ensure operators are also complying with their new responsibilities during the on-going pandemic. During this time large scale events are only permitted at the following locations:

  • Victoria Park (Haywards Heath)
  • St Johns Park (Burgess Hill)
  • Lindfield Common (Lindfield)
  • Fairfield Recreation Ground (Burgess Hill)
  • Southway Recreation Ground (Burgess Hill)

We may consider other locations on a case by case basis.

How do I apply for an event in a park?

The request should be made no less than 28 days before the event is planned to take place. Event organisers should provide the following documentation to

  • Risk assessment for the operation (and set up/take down of equipment)
  • Specific Covid 19 risk assessment for how organisers operations will reflect government guidance for social distancing, reducing the risk of transmission, test and trace and other industry specific guidelines depending on the nature of the event
  • Public Liability Insurance to the value of £5m
  • Relevant certifications and/ or qualifications to support the safe operational management of the event

For more information please contact us at

Further advice may be found at:

Leisure Centres and Civic Halls

Leisure Centres will re-open on Tuesday 1st September.

The decision to open the Kings leisure centre in East Grinstead, The Dolphin leisure centre in Haywards Heath and The Triangle leisure centre in Burgess Hill follows months of negotiations with Places Leisure, who operate the centres on behalf of the Council. Clair Hall will remain closed currently.

As customers return to the leisure centres, they will notice lots of new measures in place to keep them, and leisure centre staff, safe. Signage will be in place to help people follow social distancing, there will be hand sanitising and cleaning stations, the number of people taking part in each activity will be reduced and cleaning regimes will be greatly enhanced.

Customers will be asked to book all activities in advance via the Places Locker app or the Places Leisure website. There will be a 15-30 minute changeover period between each session to allow customers time to exit their activity safely and Places Leisure staff to clean the facilities.

For more information visit:

Test and Trace Self Isolation Payment

Test and Trace £500 Self-Isolation Payment

New package to support and enforce Self-Isolation

Mid Sussex District Council is responsible for administering a national Test and Trace scheme for the £500 (if you are eligible) Self-Isolation Payments for any resident within Mid Sussex district. This scheme started on the 28 September 2020.

Please do not delay in applying for financial support to self-isolate. Complete the online self- isolation payment application form as soon as possible, but at the latest, within 14 days of the end of your isolation period at and we will assess your eligibility and the correct payment you may be entitled to under the pilot scheme or national scheme as appropriate. You will also be able to upload the required evidence.

If you have been told by the NHS to self-isolate, either because you have tested positive for coronavirus COVID19 or you have been in contact with someone who has tested positive, you may be entitled to some financial support during your self-isolation period.

Further information can be found here - New package to support and enforce self-isolation (GOV.UK website)

What are Self-Isolation Payments?

From 28 September 2020, individuals will be entitled to a Test and Trace Support Payment of £500 if they:

  • Have been told to stay at home and self-isolate by NHS Test and Trace, either because they have tested positive for coronavirus or have recently been in close contact with someone who has tested positive.
  • Are employed or self-employed.
  • Are unable to work from home and will lose income as a result
  • Are currently receiving a designated benefit.

This payment is designed to support people on low incomes, if they will lose income as a result of self-isolating, and to encourage them to get tested if they have symptoms. This is important to help stop the transmission of COVID19 and avoid further economic and societal restrictions. The scheme will last until 31 January 2021.

These payments are available from 28 September 2020.

Further information can be found here

Who is eligible?

People who live in the district of Mid Sussex who have received notification from NHS Test and Trace to self-isolate will be entitled to a Self-Isolation Payment of £500 providing they satisfy all four of the following requirements:

  • They comply with the notification from NHS Test and Trace to self-isolate; 
  • are employed or self-employed;
  • are unable to work from home and will lose income as a result; and
  • are in receipt of one of the following benefits:
    • Universal Credit
    • Working Tax Credit
    • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
    • Housing Benefit
    • Income Support
    • Income based Job Seeker’s Allowance
    • Pension Credit

Who is not eligible?

You will not be eligible for the scheme if you:

  • Are quarantining after travelling abroad (unless you test positive during the 14-day quarantine period).
  • Continue to receive full wages while you self-isolate.
  • Can work from home during a period of self-isolation.
  • Are no longer required to self-isolate i.e. your period of self-isolation ended before the Self-Isolation Payment Scheme launched (28 September 2020)
  • Have not received a notification from NHS Test and Trace telling you to self-isolate.

Eligibility for payments


Eligibility for the NHS Test and Trace Support Payment, including discretionary payments, will be for people who are told to self-isolate on or after 28 September 2020 and who meet the relevant eligibility criteria.

We cannot accept applications from people told to self-isolate before 28 September 2020, even if the period of self-isolation continues after 28 September.

Applications from members of the same household

People in the same household can each make an individual application to receive the payment, if they each meet the eligibility criteria.

Multiple claims

Someone can claim more than once (if they are told to self-isolate multiple times), if they meet the eligibility criteria for each individual claim and their periods of self-isolation do not overlap.

Applications made after someone’s period of self-isolation has ended

Eligible individuals can make a claim up to 14 days after their period of self-isolation ended. We cannot accept applications after this point.

We cannot approve applications for anyone who does not have a valid notification from NHS Test and Trace. The legal duty to self-isolate that comes into force on 28 September applies only to people who have been told to self-isolate by NHS Test and Trace. This means it is important that people who have tested positive share accurate information about their recent contacts with NHS Test and Trace.

Applicants who are quarantining after returning to the UK

The Test and Trace Support Payment scheme does not cover people who are self-isolating after returning to the UK from abroad, unless they have tested positive for coronavirus or have been instructed to self-isolate by NHS Test and Trace.

Applicants who are furloughed

Payments cannot be made to applicants whose income is lower than normal because they are furloughed or on the Job Support Scheme.  The Test and Trace Support Payment is for people facing a reduction in income because they cannot work while self-isolating.

Discretionary Payments

We may also be able to make a discretionary £500 lump sum payment in exceptional circumstances to an individual who meets the main qualifying criteria for the Test and Trace Support Payment (i.e. they are a low-income worker who is unable to work because they are self-isolating) but is not in receipt of qualifying benefits and could suffer financial hardship as a result of not being able to work.  The funding pot for this will be very limited.  We will update this website when we have further information about the Track and Trace Discretionary Payments.

Can I help someone else make an application, or make an application on their behalf?

You can help someone else fill out an application or fill out an application on their behalf. However, you cannot receive the £500 payments on behalf of someone else; payments will only be made to the person’s bank account who has been asked to self-isolate by NHS Test and Trace. 

Before you start

You will need the following information to complete this form:

  • A copy of your latest bank statement (one issued within the last two months which must clearly show proof of earnings);
  • Proof of self-employment e.g. recent business bank statement (within the last two months), most recent set of accounts or evidence of self-assessment returns;
  • Proof of your NHS Account ID for coronavirus COVID19 or;
  • Proof of the Account ID you have received from NHS Test and Trace to self-isolate
  • Your National Insurance Number

What am I required to do?

If you receive a Self-Isolation Payment you must self-isolate as requested by NHS Test and Trace. 

Please visit the NHS website for more details of the NHS Test and Trace self-isolation requirements for those

  • testing positive and
  • those who have been in contact with someone who has tested positive and has now been told to self- isolate by NHS Test and Trace

NHS Test and Trace website

Evidence of failure to self-isolate

If Mid Sussex District Council becomes aware, either through post-payment verification checks or through other means, that someone has not self-isolated, they will need to refer the case to the police.


You may face prosecution if you have manipulated or falsified your position in order to obtain these payments, including failure to self-isolate which puts others at risk. Any payment made as a result of fraud may be subject to claw back, as may any grants paid in error.

The Government is supporting Local Authorities to make the necessary checks to ensure payments can be verified and have been made correctly.  This may mean sharing data with the appropriate Authorities.

Data Sharing

The information you submit here will be processed by Mid Sussex District Council. We need your consent so that we can access your records in the NHS Test and Trace system to confirm that you are eligible for the Track and Trace Self-Isolation Payment Scheme.

You can find more information on this via the NHS Test and Trace Privacy Notice

We will carry out checks with the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP), for verification purposes, Her Majesty’s Revenue and Customs (HMRC), for tax and national insurance purposes, the NHS Test and Trace system to check you have been told to self-isolate, with your employer and with our Fraud Service which is run by Wealden District Council.  We will not share your data with other organisations or individuals outside of the Council for any other purpose.

We will provide information to HMRC about any payments we make because Track and Trace Self-Isolation Payments are subject to Tax and National Insurance Contributions. If you are self-employed, you will need to declare the payment on your self-assessment tax return.

We may use some automated decision-making to determine if you are eligible to access funds. This means that a decision may be made by automated means, without any human involvement. 

Your rights under the Data Protection Act 2018 allow you to object to any automated-decision making used in this process. If you do, there may be a significant delay in the processing of your application.

We never sell your data to third parties or use it for marketing purposes without your consent. All information is processed in accordance with the Council’s data protection policy.

If you wish to request any changes to the way your data is used for the purposes of processing this application, including the withdrawal of consent , you can exercise your rights under GDPR in writing to the Council’s Data Protection Officer.

If you do withdraw your consent, we will not be able to continue payments to you. Your consent is necessary to establish your eligibility and to authorise any payments made.

In submitting an online application, you must confirm that you have read, understood and consented to your data being processed in this way for the purposes of assessing your eligibility for a Self-Isolation Payment.

Last updated: 28 October 2020