Vacancy – 2 Independent Persons for Standards Matters
Applications are invited from members of the public for two vacancies as Independent Persons on the Standards Committee
Independent persons work alongside the council’s Standards Committee to help ensure high standards of probity are maintained among elected members at all levels in Mid Sussex. They are important in helping increase public confidence in the local standards framework. Independent people will bring a wider perspective from their outside experiences.
The appointment is for a four year term from May 2020 and enjoys a small financial allowance.
A person can only be an independent member if they:
- have not been a member or employee of the authority for the previous five years but earlier service as an independent member under the Local government Act 2000 does not currently disqualify someone from applying, or
- are not a member or officer of that or any other relevant authority, or
- are not a relative or close friend of a member or employee of the authority.
The work of the Independent Person
- Independent Persons need to work with the Council’s Monitoring officer to assist those wishing to make a complaint about an elected member and those elected members in receipt of a complaint to find solutions acceptable to all parties.
- You would be expected to attend approximately 3 meetings of the main Standards Committee which are normally held on Mondays at 6.00pm. You will also need to attend informal meetings and training. Other work is carried out by e-mail.
Application and Appointment Process
Senior Democratic Services Officer
Mid Sussex District Council,
By no later than 5.00pm on Friday 21 February 2020.
Following the application and interview process the appointment of an independent member has to be approved by a majority of the members of the Council.
For further information on the role, and the role of the Standards Committee, please contact Lucinda Joyce on 01444 477225 or email email@example.com