New grants available to support businesses affected by COVID-19
PR2312/MF/PS - 17/11/2020
Mid Sussex businesses that have been legally forced to close because of lockdown measures can now apply for financial support.
Mid Sussex District Council is distributing the Government’s Local Restrictions Support Grants to Mid Sussex based businesses that occupy a property which pays business rates and is currently unable to open as usual because of the Government’s lockdown.
The amount of grant paid will depend on the rateable value of the business premises. For example, a property with a rateable value between £15,000 and £51,000 will receive a grant of £2,000 for every four weeks the business is closed. Should the lockdown period be extended after 2nd December 2020, so too will the grant funding.
Eligible businesses will get one grant for each property that is liable for businesses rates during the national lockdown period. To apply for a Local Restrictions Support Grant you can apply now at www.grantapproval.co.uk
The Government has also allocated Mid Sussex District Council just over £3 million to help support businesses that are suffering a loss of income due to Covid-19 but who do not qualify for the Local Restrictions Support Grant.
The Council has been asked by the Government to prioritise the following types of business for this funding, subject to eligibility:
- Small businesses in shared offices or other flexible workspaces
- Regular market traders with fixed stall locations who do not have their own business rates assessment and have their main domestic residence in Mid Sussex
- Businesses in the supply chain to the Retail, Leisure and Hospitality or event sectors that do not qualify for the Government’s Local Business Support Grants but pay business rates or have other property costs
- Businesses that do not qualify for additional restrictions or other business grants but pay onerous business rates or have other relatively high property costs. This may include the topping up of any local restriction support granted.
- Businesses which may have qualified for a local restrictions support grant but are waiting for a business rate valuation decision from the independent Valuation Office Agency
Applications for the discretionary scheme are open to businesses outside of the categories listed above but will only be considered once these priority applications have been processed.
Local businesses are encouraged to apply for funding online at www.grantapproval.co.uk from 23rd November 2020 and applications must be received by 13th December 2020. All applications will be assessed as quickly as possible after the closing date. If any funding is left over, the Council may open further grant funding windows for new applications.
Councillor Jonathan Ash-Edwards, Leader of Mid Sussex District Council said:
“I welcome the unprecedented financial support that the Government is providing to help Mid Sussex businesses through the pandemic and to mitigate the financial impact of these latest national restrictions.
“Coupled with the Council’s own grant schemes aimed at Covid recovery and business growth, there is a wide range of support available now to help businesses survive, protect jobs and back those which are able to grow. Find out more and apply now at www.midsussex.gov.uk/businessgrants “
Keep up to date
Find out more about Mid Sussex District Council news by visiting our Newsroom
Follow us on Facebook, Twitter for all the latest Council news.