PR2237/SB/MH - 06/08/2019
Local children and their families enjoyed a free day of fun and activities in East Grinstead, Haywards Heath and Burgess Hill on 30th, 31st July and 1st August as part of Play Days 2019. Play Days is a celebration of children’s right to play and a campaign to highlight the importance of play in children’s lives.
This year’s Play Days were circus themed and Mid Sussex District Council organised a variety of free activities. Families enjoyed outstanding circus demonstrations performed by professionals Poi Passion, and the South’s leading children’s entertainer, Tom Foolery, captivated all the family. Trained Circus performers gave guidance to children on walking the tightrope, balancing on stilts, juggling and also enjoyed creative activities to celebrate national Play Day 2019.
Places Leisure organised lots of fun sporting activities and children were encouraged to bring their bikes and scooters along to take part in a prepared obstacle course. The local DJs filled the afternoon with music and WSCC brought their sensory bus to provide activities for youngsters.
Councillor Norman Webster, Cabinet Member for Community said:
“The Circus themed Play Days this year were filled with a variety of fun activities throughout the day for all the family to enjoy during the school holidays. There was lots to keep the children entertained.
“It’s great that we were able to provide a great afternoon for the local community to enjoy, with free activities available at these convenient locations across the District”
If you missed the free Play Day events, there is a chance to catch Play Days on tour, which is travelling across Mid Sussex providing a series of free mini events. There will be lots of activities which are suitable for all ages such as a DJ workshop, circuit training, arts & crafts, free passes to try leisure centre activities and much more.
The free mini Play Days on tour will be held at:
- Court Bushes in Hurstpierpoint from 11am until 3pm on Tuesday 6th August
- Worlds End Rec in Burgess Hill from 11am until 3pm on Wednesday 7th August
- Bentswood in Haywards Heath from 11am until 3pm on Tuesday 13th August
- Ashenground in Haywards Heath from 11am until 3pm on Wednesday 14th August
- Cuckfield Rec, in Cuckfield from 11am until 3pm on Thursday 15th August
- Rec by Millennium Hall in Scaynes Hill from 11am until 3pm on Wednesday 21st August
- Ardingly Rec in Ardingly from 11am until 3pm on Thursday 22nd August
- Stone Quarry in East Grinstead from 11am until 3pm on Wednesday 28th August
- Rec by The Ark in Turners Hill from 11am until 3pm on Thursday 29th August
Mid Sussex District Council Chairman Colin Trumble said:
“I opened all three of our Play Days events and it’s a fantastic day for the local people to enjoy with their families. I also visited one of our mini Play Days on Tour events at Court Bushes in Hurstpierpoint this morning and it was wonderful to see so many people taking part.”
The 2019 events were organised by Mid Sussex District Council with support from Places Leisure, Burgess Hill Town Council, East Grinstead Town Council and Haywards Heath Town Council.
For more information contact Sally Blackmore, Community Engagement and Events Officer on 01444-477057 or email firstname.lastname@example.org ]