Dispose of Your Waste Correctly

Most of the waste that a household produces can be taken to a Household Waste Recycling Site free of charge, and this includes bulky items such as fridges, freezers, electronic equipment and even household cement-bonded asbestos sheeting.

If you are unable to get the waste to the Household Waste Recycling Sites yourself the Council offers a chargeable bulky waste collection service. For details please look at our Bulky Waste Collections page.

If you hire contractors such as builders, gardeners, house clearers, scrap metal merchants and the like, and they will be removing waste items from your property, they will need to be a registered waste carrier.

Ask your contractor if they're a registered waste carrier and ask for their waste carrier number.

Contact the Environment Agency on 08708 506 506 and ask for a Waste Carrier Validation Check. You can also do this online by checking the Authorised Waste Carriers register. If your contractor is not registered, you should refuse their services and request that they seek advice from the Environment Agency.

If you do employ someone to remove waste from your property and this waste is subsequently found illegally dumped and traced back to you, you could be held responsible. To guard against this keep a note of their name, telephone number and vehicle registration number.

Contact us

Waste and Recycling Team
Telephone: 01444 477440
Email: wastematters@midsussex.gov.uk