Furniture and Household Appliance Recycling
This page tells you how ways you can dispose of your unwanted furniture and appliances without sending them to landfill.
Are you having a clear out? If you have unwanted furniture, household goods, toys or appliances that are in good working order, don't throw them away as rubbish.
Remember, one person's rubbish is another person's treasure! Someone could re-use your old items and put them to very good use! Please take a look at the organisations below.
If they are not able to help you, you may wish to use our Bulky Waste Collection Service for which there is a fee, details on the Bulky Waste Collection page.
If you are an organisation who accepts unwanted household items for refurbishment - please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to be listed here.
FurniHelp are a local charity which collects unwanted furniture and household appliances from your home. The items are then redistributed to people in need, for example families escaping homelessness or domestic violence.
FurniHelp will take a range of items including:-
- Cookers, washing machines and microwaves. These must be in working order as the charity has no repair facility. (NB FurniHelp reserve the right to return white goods to the donor if they are not in working order)
- Beds, mattresses (mattresses must meet fire regulations standard)
- Chest of Drawers
- Armchairs, sofas (must meet fire regulations standard)
- Tables, chairs
- By agreement in advance: clean sheets, duvet covers and other items of furniture.
Furnihelp are NOT able to take fridges and freezers or curtains.
The charity asks for a minimum donation of £20 from those donating furniture to help cover the costs of providing the collection and distribution service.
Contact FurniHelp to check which items they are currently taking, to arrange a collection, or if you would like more information about volunteering as a loader.
British Heart Foundation
British Heart Foundation Furniture and Electrical Item Collection BHF will collect items suitable for reuse free of charge, contact them for details.
Before organising your collection please check that:
- All the goods are in good condition, clean and complete, and that they work correctly.
- All upholstered furniture has a fire label attached. For sets, i.e. a three piece suite, each individual item must have its own fire label.
BHF can also collect any clothing, accessories, shoes, books, DVDs, CDs and homewares at the same time.
Or you could try one of the free swap sites below
Freecycle - advertise your unwanted goods and swap them for something you do want!