Alternatives to Bulky Waste Collection

You may be able to find homes for some of your unwanted items through a charity shop, a furniture charity or a free internet site. Always better than sending it to landfill!

Please take a look at our Furniture & Household Appliance page page (these sites will often take other items too!) and the links to the right.

British Heart Foundation Furniture and Electrical Item Collection BHF will collect furniture and electrical items suitable for reuse free of charge, follow the link for details, or call 0808 250 0030 to arrange a collection (conditions apply).

Using Private Waste Disposal Firms

If you hire contractors such as builders and allied trades, landscape gardeners, tree fellers and surgeons, house clearers, retail establishments or scrap metal merchants who are removing waste items from your property, these people will normally need a waste carrier registration.

Ask your contractor if they're a registered waste carrier and ask for their waste carrier number.

Contact the Environment Agency on 08708 506 506 and ask for a Waste Carrier Validation Check. You can also do this online by checking the Authorised Waste Carriers register. If your contractor is not registered, you should refuse their services and request that they seek advice from the Environment Agency.

If you do employ someone to remove waste from your property and this waste is subsequently found illegally dumped and traced back to you, you could be held responsible. To guard against this keep a note of their name, telephone number and vehicle registration number.

Contact us

Waste and Recycling Team
Telephone: 01444 477440
Secure: General Enquiry Form